Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
booneb50
Punch Card
Views: 396
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Z580 Won't Boot or Enter Bios

This Laptop started out having issue loading Windows, I suspected an issue with the HDD. Then it began not boot at all. When I turn the machine on, 5 icons light up across the top of the keyboard, after a few seconds, the "lenovo" logo appears with the twriling dots annimation, then it goes blank, this sequence repeats never changes. When I press the NOVO button, I get the Novo Button Menu, I have tried selecting any of the items but nothing happens after the selection, it goes back to sequence stated above.

I am unable to boot another CD or USB device or do anything to troubleshoot this problem. I am opened to suggestion on how to resolve this issue, getting into the bios is key.

jabarrios
Paper Tape
Views: 358
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Z580 Won't Boot or Enter Bios

I've been battling this today too.  As the PC starts up, press F1 to enter the bios [Energy Star symbol in corner].  My PC is an Ideacenter 730, so your bios menus might be different. I couldn't get a CD or USB to get recognized at boot up - found that "Secure Boot"  which stops CD or USB boots was enabled; and only able to be turned off when "Device Guard" is turned off first [both found on Security menu].

booneb50
Punch Card
Views: 338
Message 3 of 7

That didn't work for me. I've tried hoding down, F1, F2, F11, F12 to no avail.

booneb50
Punch Card
Views: 304
Message 4 of 7

I created a Dos bootable USB drive, verified it on another system, it boots into DOS. I inserted the USB drive into my Z580, powered on, the USB leds blink but the it never loads from the USB drive. I have tried all the FN + key combos that I can find, nothing works. How can I force this laptop to boot from another device? Is there a hardware issue, cmos reset or something?

booneb50
Punch Card
Views: 292
Message 5 of 7

I removed the cmos battery and was able to enter bios setup due to a time and date error. Performed default reset and verified the boot order, usb, cd, hdd, then saved and renovated. It still would not boot from hdd, usb or cd. I still can't enter the bios, removing the battery was the only way. 

booneb50
Punch Card
Views: 282
Message 6 of 7

I have not been able to boot any type of OS on this machine. I created a bootable DOS usb drive, Windows installation usb disk, a Windows installation CD disk. Replacing the motherboard is my next adventure. 

Thanks for all of the help.

booneb50
Punch Card
Views: 122
Message 7 of 7

I was able to replace the system board and reload Windows on the hard drive. I am now able to enter the bios and boot the operating system. Case closed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors