Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jetblast787
Fanfold Paper
Views: 579
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo Z580 not starting up

I brought a Z580 (M81K8UK) last year september brand new and have used it without issues since. This morning I turned it off before I went to sleep at 4am. Woke up this morning, pressed the power button and nothing. Laptop doesn't turn on or give any indication of anything. Put the battery in, pressed the button, still nothing. Plugged it in with the battery and the battery light comes on and when I press the button it goes off until I release it. 

I've tried discharging (taking the battery and ac out), pressing the power button a number of times and holding it then leaving it for a bit, but still nothing. I'm starting to become worried its a motherboard issue, but im still hoping for the best. I had turned off the power from the wall for the weekend on friday as I was out till sunday evening, but when I turned it on on sunday night it started up without issue. I'm a student whose tight with money at the moment and am hoping lenovo support can do something without payment, even if its out of warranty as I haven't modified or done anything other than use it as it should be used (I still take care of it as though its brand new; heck I've even increased the battery life to 4 hours after careful planning and usage). I would call the standard 0844 uk support line, but its really expensive for the situation I'm in at the moment as I only have a mobile and no access to a landline. 

Next step I want to open it and take out the CMOS battery to hard reset, but don't want to open it just in case I can still get some sort of warranty or if there is a known issue with the laptop. 

Any replies would be appriciated Smiley Sad

jetblast787
Fanfold Paper
Views: 558
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo Z580 not starting up

Anyone? I have coursework which is due soon on this laptop Smiley Sad
jetblast787
Fanfold Paper
Views: 537
Message 3 of 8

Anyone? Please Smiley Sad
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 510
Message 4 of 8

If you can ask somebody with a meter to check the ac adapter/charger as outlined in the hardware maintenance manual of your unit this should narrow down the problem a little bit.

jetblast787
Fanfold Paper
Views: 505
Message 5 of 8

The ac adapter is working fine. When the battery is plugged in, the battery light comes on (and stays on until I press the power button, but then turns back on when I release). The battery was also fully charged beforehand but yet either way it doesn't work.

Or do you mean check with a meter the power port on the laptop when the battery is in?

I've contacted the site I brought it from, however they are completely slagging me off and saying its out of warranty by a month when this clearly is a manufacturing/component failure/fault. 

If there is a known issue and fix for this problem, I am willing to open it up, but only if I know it'll fix the issue

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 493
Message 6 of 8

@jetblast787 wrote:

The ac adapter is working fine. When the battery is plugged in, the battery light comes on (and stays on until I press the power button, but then turns back on when I release). The battery was also fully charged beforehand but yet either way it doesn't work.

Or do you mean check with a meter the power port on the laptop when the battery is in?

I've contacted the site I brought it from, however they are completely slagging me off and saying its out of warranty by a month when this clearly is a manufacturing/component failure/fault. 

If there is a known issue and fix for this problem, I am willing to open it up, but only if I know it'll fix the issue

If the adapter is fine then the problem could be inside the unit. There is not much we can do about it since there's only the mb left in there besides the hdd, wireless card, odd, and ssd if it is included in your unit. Better make a call to techsupport.

jetblast787
Fanfold Paper
Views: 491
Message 7 of 8

Do you have a toll free number for the UK? I did call the support line earlier but they refused to look at it without a charge. Also do you know how much a diagnostic report will cost if I send in my laptop and how long it'll take?
jetblast787
Fanfold Paper
Views: 463
Message 8 of 8

I must say the support, or lack of, I'm getting is shocking. I've recommended lenovo laptops to a number of my friends, however I don't think I'm going to do this ever again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors