Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidom2513
Paper Tape
Views: 560
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Z580 overheating when connected to external monitor

I bought a Lenovo Z580 7 months ago. It has been getting hotter than usual lately, especially when I plug it into my new external monitor(24" Acer HD Monitor). I was doing some light gaming yesterday (9 year old game), and the cpu temperature was averaging around 80+ degrees, reaching a max temp of 90 after 30-60 mins.

I have a feeling that the thermal paste may need to be replaced, however I can not do this without voiding the warranty of the laptop. I may get some compressed air and try and clean out the fans.

I have 5 months left on my warranty, should I send in the laptop for thermal paste to be re-applied?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 536
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Z580 overheating when connected to external monitor

@davidom2513 wrote:

I bought a Lenovo Z580 7 months ago. It has been getting hotter than usual lately, especially when I plug it into my new external monitor(24" Acer HD Monitor). I was doing some light gaming yesterday (9 year old game), and the cpu temperature was averaging around 80+ degrees, reaching a max temp of 90 after 30-60 mins.

I have a feeling that the thermal paste may need to be replaced, however I can not do this without voiding the warranty of the laptop. I may get some compressed air and try and clean out the fans.

I have 5 months left on my warranty, should I send in the laptop for thermal paste to be re-applied?

Seldom that one will replace the thermal paste unless the heatsink is removed.  So a cleaning of the vent, fan, and the inside of the unit if possible without invalidating the warranty might be at hand.

davidom2513
Paper Tape
Views: 508
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Z580 overheating when connected to external monitor

There doesn't seem to be much of a dust build up, but I have ordered a can of compressed air anyway and will blow any dust out.

The laptop is now reaching idle temps of 70+, and when doing very light gaming for 10 mins it reaches temps of 90-100. And that is while using a cooling pad.

So something isn't right, I think may have to get in touch with Lenovo while its still in warranty

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors