Did you mean: 
spacemudd
Paper Tape
Views: 2,167
Message 11 of 23

Re: Lenovo Z580 will not start - Black Screen [SOLVED]

@Sebastian2211 wrote:

My one doesnt start anymore ...

Is there any possibility to force the laptop to start?

Or to get into the dos-mode?

Is it the colder the better for booting?

Thanks for help

Personally, it took one full day of constantly turning off and on the laptop as I sat and did my work. Once you boot go into the BIOS and make sure the USB is the 1st in the boot priority. It didn't help if it was colder or warmer. I've infact placed it in the freezer for 5 minutes and it had done nothing really.

Once that's been done, you go for round #2. Another day was spent of turning it off and on till it booted and I was able to flash the bios.

torpilot
Paper Tape
Views: 2,160
Message 12 of 23

Hello jamie_nx01.

Glad to hear that you got serviced your father's PC. I had been looking forward to hearing whether the repair was successful.

Now it could be mighty nice if some official person from Lonovo could explain the real cause of this mysterious problem for all of us wondering owners of Lenovo laptops.

Just hope not that we're in a new version of "The Light Bulb Conspiracy"...

(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel )

spacemudd
Paper Tape
Views: 2,147
Message 13 of 23

@torpilot wrote:

Now it could be mighty nice if some official person from Lonovo could explain the real cause of this mysterious problem for all of us wondering owners of Lenovo laptops.

Just hope not that we're in a new version of "The Light Bulb Conspiracy"...

(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel )

That's such a scary but also an exciting conspiracy. Though I believe it's a simple design fault. 

My bet is the BIOS' chip gets corrupted due to voltage fluctations.

(http://superuser.com/questions/252264/what-are-the-causes-of-bios-corruption-can-one-tell-the-cause-... -- an interesting thread.

BassMan2016
Paper Tape
Views: 2,146
Message 14 of 23

It makes me wonder... Especially given that the Lenovo BIOS updater forced my machine back into a boot loop.

Now that other people have applied the fix, has anyone experienced this same issue?  

spacemudd
Paper Tape
Views: 2,142
Message 15 of 23

@BassMan2016 wrote:

It makes me wonder... Especially given that the Lenovo BIOS updater forced my machine back into a boot loop.

Now that other people have applied the fix, has anyone experienced this same issue?  

Yep. Same thing. OP mentioned to install the stock BIOS again and that actually sent my laptop to boot loop again.

I settled for using the custom made bios (bios-mod). I'm not quite sure if it's a negative or a positive thing to stay on it but whatever-- as long as it's working I'm happy.

Now I'm sort of paranoid. If a newely downloaded stock bios corrupts the laptop... then that's kind of a crappy move.

amachira
Paper Tape
Views: 2,091
Message 16 of 23

Hi Guys,

I have the same end problem but the symptom, is different.

Whenever I click on power button for my Lenovo ideapad Z580, the lights on (sounds buttons) witll flicker once and then on.  However, as I said the black screen remains without rebooting.

Not sure if this problem is realated to BIOS setup.  Can someone advise?

jamie_nx01
Paper Tape
Views: 2,078
Message 17 of 23

Mine did that sometimes too. Try the solution above and see how you get on. 

Sebastian2211
Paper Tape
Views: 2,051
Message 18 of 23

Brought my one to a shop. To have them a look at it. They told me:

They put it in a fridge, and were able to start it one times and installed a new bios.

But the reboot after installing showed the same problem with the black screen.

They said, my mainboard would be damaged.

pbrvgl
What's DOS?
Views: 1,144
Message 19 of 23

Torpilot, first many thanks for putting these instructions together, truly appreciated.

My situation is very much like the one you describe. I'm willing to try your solution, but would first like to convey some extra details on my current status.

In the past, when I turned my machine on, the first screen displayed had a Lenovo brand on the screen center and the F2 and F12 alternatives available for few seconds. I was able to let the boot process proceed normally from there or press one of these keys to access the BIOS setup menu or the boot menu, respectively.

Now when I turn my Z580 the only screen I have is the blank screen (backlight on though!). F2 and F12 do not work anymore. As the Z580 has the Novo "rescue" button (the smaller one beside the power button), I tried to use it: it indeed leads me to a very short menu with four options (Normal Startup / BIOS setup / Boot Menu / System Recovery) but all of them, when pressed, leads me to the blank screen - and there I get stuck.

You mention in your script "Make sure your computer will boot from the USB key...". Well, F12 doesn't work for me, although I haven't tried Fn+B.

I would just like to verify with you and other forum members if your solution would fit my problem and/or if any of the readers has a scenario just like mine. Any opinion and comment counts much at this point and would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Brian_Ogbrush
Paper Tape
Views: 995
Message 20 of 23

I have this problem, a black screen, and nothing I do will let me see ANYTHING on the display so I don't know if USB booting is enabled and even if it is I can't see any text on the screen to controll the BIOS update.

All I get is the icons above the keyboard are lit and the CPU fan spins and the battery is being charged that's all.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors