Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LuxPerpetua
Paper Tape
Views: 347
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Z70-80 with Windows 7 - problem with Windows Update and Grafics CardsG

Hello

Its my first post so pls give me some slack.

I have just purchesed Lenovo Z70-80 and additionally Windows 7 Professional since i dont like 8 and dont trust 10.

Laptopo spec are nice - just what i wonted.

i5

Ge Force 840

8gb ram

hybrid drive 1TB HDD/8Gb SDD

But suddenly after installin windows i found that Windows Update just wont work. Nothing for hours. I did some risearch and find out that Lenovo for some reason blocks windows update and force users to use their own drivers.

Ok then - i have download drivers from lenovo support.

Including Nvidia driver for my GeForce 840. 

But during instalation there was an information that i have to install intel grafics driver 1st.

I didnt even understand that fully since i was sertain that i have bought laptpo with geforce 840.

But ok - ton the list of available drivers there also is one for intel video driver. 

I did install it - and there - sure enouth - Nvidia drivers asle run to the complition.

BUT - what troubles me greatly - in "Display Setting" where u can for example change ur resolution, in advance option THE ONLY listed grafiv card is Intel HD Graphics 5500. No GeForce.

But in the "Devices Menager" under Grafic Cards - there she is - my GeForce 840M.

So what do i do to make this ********** GeForce being PRIMARY video card.?

I cant jsut disable Intel Card - found out the hard why - whole display just went black and i had to reset bios.

I red somwhere that Lenovo created this in the fassion that GeForce will activate automaticly if needed when Intel is not enought. HOW DO I KNOW THAT? And woulnt it cose some sort of glitches? For ex - i am playing a vidoe game and sudenly Intel is not enought - can changing video proccessing unit go smouthly?

Sound like a ************ o me to be honest.

And final question.

After doing some more reading i found out that if i run Lenovo LSE Windows Disabler Tool windows updates will be possible.

OK - they are. In additional updetaes there are possible downloads for Intel and Nvidia video drivers.

Should i run those? I am afraid that maby only original lenovo ones can acctually provide this wierd combo and make it work. Is there any danger that if i use widnows update's version of video graphics drivers it will all stop working?

Sincerely

Maciej

Mod's Edit: Please keep in mind that these forums are accessed by people of all ages. Profanity and attempted profanity by circumventing the profanity filter is prohibited by Forum Guidelines and have been removed.

LuxPerpetua
Paper Tape
Views: 330
Message 2 of 3

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM that integrated Intel HD Graphic 5500 and GeForce 840M are working togetrher?

On Lenovo Z70-80?

When i was purchasing spec listed only geforce.

To my surpirse i couldnt even instal geforce drivers without intel first.

So - can anyne confirm that they actually ARE working toghether in seanse that somhow aoutoaticly geforce is steping in when needed to? As it supposedly do according to lenovo.

Or maby is this possbile to  actually just simply disable intel hd graphics 5500? but when i tried this in device menager all display just died.

Mod's Edit: Merged OP's posting together as the issue is related.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 314
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Z70-80 with Windows 7 - problem with Windows Update and Grafics CardsG

What I know is the z70-80 was rock solid under Window 8.1 64bit which came with the system. Everything worked and updates were as expected.

Windows 7 is a big step backwards and being dropped by MS. I spent days with two other computers I was repairing and rebuilding. One a Lenovo Thinkcenter and after two days with being able to get updates I did a clean install of Windows 10. MS must not be allow them to get updates all the or other restriction because another laptop from HP had the same problem and would not upgrade to Win10 since the Nvidia card is not supported as no drivers exist past Win7. Hence a warning thread I created a week or so ago on buying anything other than Intel GPU systems or get locked out of future OS version.

Lenovo supports Win 8.1 if you have problems also if you upgrade to Win 10 on these systems. I have moved now 4 systems to Windows 10. No problems running them but this last one yesterday is still in testing but by far the newest.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors