Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jchen27
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,388
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo ideapad Y700-15ISK how to put into AHCI

I recently bought a M.2 SSD and I want to use it as a cache drive. Intels RST requires AHCI mode, I was under the assumption that I was already in AHCI mode but my inability to create any raid volumes through the disk management or have my drives recognized by the RST app says otherwise. There is no option to change my mode from IDE to AHCI in BIOS due to it being locked. How can I work around this?

dhonzik
Punch Card
Views: 3,376
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo ideapad Y700-15ISK how to put into AHCI

Look in the device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, it should say Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller. For your second part of your question, you need at least 2 disk with unallocated areas to make a RAID array. But, saying that I would never setup a software RAID (ie windows) array and the BIOS doesnt support a hardware RAID

jchen27
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,344
Message 3 of 11

Yeah under device manager it does say IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, it should say Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller. I tried to create a RAID array with 2 unallocated areas on seperate disks with equal volume sizes to verify that I was in AHCI, I had no option to. I need to be in AHCI to enable acelleration in Intel RST which caches on an SSD, but somehow It wont allow me. I made sure that my SSD had unallocated area of bewteen 8-64GB still no luck or option to use intel RST. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,339
Message 4 of 11

According to the below guide, you need to set it specifically to RAID mode in the BIOS:

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59375

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,333
Message 5 of 11

@jchen27 wrote:

Yeah under device manager it does say IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, it should say Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller. I tried to create a RAID array with 2 unallocated areas on seperate disks with equal volume sizes to verify that I was in AHCI, I had no option to. I need to be in AHCI to enable acelleration in Intel RST which caches on an SSD, but somehow It wont allow me. I made sure that my SSD had unallocated area of bewteen 8-64GB still no luck or option to use intel RST. 

Since there is no Raid option in the bios, the easiest to achieve a raid setup is to use Storage Spaces. This will require three disk set (one for the os and the other two for the raid setup). You can't have a bootable raid setup in this case.

jchen27
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,313
Message 6 of 11

Theres no AHCI or RAID mode in BIOS. I dont really want to RAID my drive I just wana use it to cache on my SSD with Intel RST. I was simpaly using the RAID function to verify i was in AHIC. At this moment everything points to me being in IDE.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,306
Message 7 of 11

@jchen27 wrote:

Theres no AHCI or RAID mode in BIOS. I dont really want to RAID my drive I just wana use it to cache on my SSD with Intel RST. I was simpaly using the RAID function to verify i was in AHIC. At this moment everything points to me being in IDE.

In your original post you mentioned that you wanted to create a raid volume. This is not possible without establishing a raid setup first. The volume will be realized after the raid setup. And as far as I know the minimum number of drive for a raid setup is two. The cache also can only be realized by enabling it through the Intel panel. But there is no user option where it is developed or to be access. This is what I have in an old 11.xxx IRST driver. Since you only want the cache function, further reading points to Intel's Smart Response Technology which uses the latest Intel's rapid storage technology driver. One requirement as pointed out earlier require Raid option in the bios. So it's not possible to realize Smart Response Technology for your unit.

Perhaps going to Intel's site can further help you out regarding your problem. There you will find excellent journals discussing IRST or RST. One possible option that you can undertake is to use ExpressCache if you really want the ssd to be a cache only device.

dhonzik
Punch Card
Views: 3,300
Message 8 of 11

Who is the manufacturer of the SSD you got? Some manufacturer supply programs to do what you are trying to do

jchen27
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,264
Message 9 of 11

Ok that makes sense then, I was assuming that it did support IRST because it came pre installed but lenovos Insyde H20 bios simply will not allow me to change into RAID through BIOS. 

jchen27
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,254
Message 10 of 11

Patriot manufacturs my SSD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors