cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bouncingbamboo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 284
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo ideapad Z510 horizontal pixelated lines at startup and after sleep or hibernate

This issue started about 6 months ago and has gotten worse. in the beginning it only occured when i colosed the lid of the laptop to put it to sleep but did not occur or not as reularly when using the windows power menu and manually putting it to sleep. When it did occur white, pink and green horizontal lines/ pixels would dance up and down the screen. I monitor the temperature and it is within normal ranges. The mouse would also freeze and unfreeze and i have to patiently wait and to access the power option menu. a restart usually solves the problem. Now i am shutting it down completely and it is getting worse. it starts (with or without lines on the lenovo screen) but by the time i get to the sign in it is full of line and now the lower part is going grey and shifting to white. if i can access restart it solves the problem. i am then able to use the computer without any issues. I did a discharge of the battery and guage reset. since i mostly use it plugged in i keep the battery at 60%. I purchased the computer in May 2014 and had a power issue (I think, lenovo never comfirmed what the problem was). It was sent back and repaired in 2015 under warranty. I sadly think i got a lemon. When I belatedly checked the new owner checklist on the forum it also reminded me that i don't have one key recovery. When i first recieved the laptop i attempted to create one in the partition drive but it wouldn't allow me to. I seem to remember it said there wasn't enough room. a technician tried to help but to no avail and said they would send me recovery discs which never arrived. Of course by this time i was happily using the computer and forgot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My graphic drivers are up to date. 

Again any help will be appreciated. I'm not against taking it to a repair shop i would just like to understand what the issue may be and troubleshoot what i can.

Thanks!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 267
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo ideapad Z510 horizontal pixelated lines at startup and after sleep or hibernate

Most likely, it's RAM or graphic card issue - assuming you have valid warranty, you should contact the Lenovo support for free replacement

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
bouncingbamboo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 263
Message 3 of 7

Re: Lenovo ideapad Z510 horizontal pixelated lines at startup and after sleep or hibernate

It's not under warranty - purchased in 2014. if it's the graphics card why would it only occur at start up and not while using applications? I bought it specifically to use for photo editing but have not used it as much as i would have like. no gaming. light video watching. it's an all in one intel i7 chip. If i understand the cpu gpu all in one chips i basically have to replace the computer. i have 8 gb ram which is plenty for what i do. thanks for replying. What are my options at this point? hope a repair place can fix it?

bouncingbamboo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 243
Message 4 of 7

I just wanted to add that i ran the diagnostic scans on the hardware and everything came back normal

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 228
Message 5 of 7

You probably have two RAM sticks, remove one of them and use the computer for a while to check if the issue persists. If it does, replace the one you removed, remove the one already there and try again. If you could find another RAM stick, you could use it directly to check if it's related to RAM

It's usually RAM issue but sometime it's video card

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
bouncingbamboo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 225
Message 6 of 7

thanks yigit. I don't feel confident opening a laptop so i'll take it in somewhere and mention your diagnostic. at least that seems fixable!  not happy that i've had so many issues with this laptop. my first lenovo, not sure i would invest in one again. I'll post back after I take it to a repair shop.

Sarthak1994
What's DOS?
Views: 206
Message 7 of 7

Hey Bouncing Bamboo!

I just read through this forum. And it's uncanny. I bought my Lenovo Z510 also in 2014, it just went out of warranty recently. (In August) and wait for it, it started showing me the pink horizontal lines just as you describe them, like 2 days back. And I have gone through a lot with my laptop too. I have installed windows myself for like the third time now, experienced motherboard issues too. It's not been an easy ride. I also doubt I'll ever invest in a Lenovo again. I'd love to get in touch with you and discuss in detail.

Top Kudoed Authors