Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sidw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,456
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo ideapad y580 Reset to Factory/Install windows 7

I just bought the lenovo ideapad y580 which comes with windows 8 64bit. Then I tried installing windows 7 64bit with a installation cd I had lying around. I installed it but throughout the installation it required a restart and it didnt finish installing and on the startup it now gets stuck on the windows 7 startup screen. When I look into drive partitioning(forgot how I did that) it says that theres windows 8 on the C: drive but when I go into (f11) which operating system to launch it only says it has windows 7(which freezes up doesn't even launch in safemode. (I downloaded a windows 7 recovery cd burned imagine file to disc and used it in the laptop but it says incorrect version of windows to use this software. So i downloaded windows 8 recovery and it just crashed. I also tried downloading different versions of windows 7 mounting the iso to a cd but the boot menu doesnt recognize the cd (doesnt even know theres a cd in the laptop).

Anyone know of a fix?

The_Talp
What's DOS?
Views: 2,440
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo ideapad y580 Reset to Factory/Install windows 7

I had installed Win7 after Win8 and I had a simaliar problem, except when I recovered it simply did not work. There is a problem with the cross partition platform between .MSI and FAT32. I had to actually try to reinstall the Windows 7 by just wiping the whole HD. If you can enter BIOS and just reformat EVERYTHING, LEAVE NOTHING then you might be able to do so. If not, have you tried drivers? Or have you tried possibly booting with a USB on something like Ubuntu or Debian? That's what I almost did as well. I think though, if you cannot get it to work, I'd retry with partitioning, then if that still didn't work, I would try using a new OS to boot through. I would suggest if that doesn't work, then come back. I also, have a USB DVD-CD ROM drive that I use.So try that if you have already, then talk to me tell me more details.

sidw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,433
Message 3 of 6

I cannot access the partitioning of the drives through windows 7 installation cd and wouldn't know how else to manually access the drive partitioning through start up. I have not tried drives(what are you suggesting I'd need to do?) and What exactly do you mean by cleaning out the bios? I don't see a feature like this maybe it is through different methods compared to other bios I am more familiar with

The_Talp
What's DOS?
Views: 2,429
Message 4 of 6

I'm really just speaking from my experience when I did it, and I had the exact same problem except it wouldn't recover. For cleaning it. My problem was it wouldn't recongnize a partition of it, the one it had the file system on, because it was MSI. So I could not even attempt to dual boot it, or anything, it would revert me to the BIOS menu and I would put the disk drive as top priority, and I don't know if I said clean, but you have to partition everything - including the SDD cause it just won't work.

I can remember, though, it doesn't give permission to install Win7 from Win8, and that's the same partition problem, you have to do it through bios or do it while the computer is booting up.

What you want to do is

Enter BIOS > Goto Boot Menu > Goto Hard drive priority, put disk as the 1st priority > save changes and exit.

For drivers, you can find them on levono, they have cd-rom ones

sidw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,415
Message 5 of 6

Enter BIOS > Goto Boot Menu > Goto Hard drive priority, put disk as the 1st priority > save changes and exit.

When i enter bios boot menu it just stays mode priority (UEFI or LEGACY) and efi: boot manager efi networks and Boot device priority: blanc

sidw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,410
Message 6 of 6

I am able to get to the partitioning now I was wondering how I could completely delete the partititoning and then go from there (also what are the suggested steps from there)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors