Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SirStealthy
Paper Tape
Views: 168
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo y-50-70 wont start up

I bought this laptop in 2014, and had a great time with it. After roughly 2 years, the GTX860M died... booting up would result in a complete freeze before i could even log in. No BSOD whatsoever, just a complete freeze. Yes, i even reinstalled windows multiple times and tried to reinstall the drivers in safemode, nothing helped the situation. I could get around this by disabling the nvidia gpu in the BIOS, which was tricky, since the BIOS itself would freeze aswell after roughly 15 seconds.

Then, the past few days my laptop screen would disable itself (it would just shut off, only my second monitor would work and hold all my windows, as if my laptop screen wasn't there). It also wouldn't boot properly from time to time either, the keyboard would light up (sometimes i couldn't change its brightness, and sometimes i could) but the screen would never turn on. I did some research and what seemed to help others was holding down the powerbutton for 10 seconds (didn't help), some even unplugged the battery and drained the system of power (which i did aswell, also didn't help).

After that, the system would refuse to fire up at all. I can't get to the BIOS, the keyboard won't light up, i can't get to anything through the button next to the power button (forgot it's name). The power button just lights up for 5 seconds, and that's it.

I checked the motherboard to see if anything blew, haven't found anything so far. i tried to switch the places for the RAM, doesn't help either.

I think my system is truly dead... If there is a solution to this (other than buying a new system, I don't have any spare money for that), I'd love to hear. Since this was all i had for my 3D and webdesign work...

PS: i never went out allot, so i almost always had conservation mode on, to save my battery from an early doom. So i REALLY doubt it's my battery (I also tested the CMOS battery for juice, testing it gave 3volts, so it seems fine).

riski0
Punch Card
Views: 115
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo y-50-70 wont start up

i had a less serious issue with a y50-70 with a 960m GTX a week ago.
My Nvidia GPU is 99% gone. I solved disabling it through BIOS. If you have only 15 sec you are able for sure to disable it inside BIOS menu!
If there are also screen issue try to connect your laptop using a HDMI cable for exclude other problems. Good luck! Smiley Happy
SirStealthy
Paper Tape
Views: 62
Message 3 of 4

I already have done both when the 860M initially died... I have gone without a good GPU for 2 plus years now.

SirStealthy
Paper Tape
Views: 61
Message 4 of 4

IT'S FIXED:

Apparently the BIOS was the problem, it happened to break itself.

The solution is to take out the CMOS battery (round battery thats hooked to your motherboard) for atleast 30minutes (I had it out for an hour).

After that, it booted again, and everything was the way it was before. My gpu hasnt been fixed, still looking into that; so far i've gathered that the windows 10 creator's update really doesn't like the GTX 860M... so dualbooting windows 8.1 might be the solution (win7 should work too, for those who hate 8.1 with a passion).

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors