Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Z3rgling
Paper Tape
Views: 1,563
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo y410p Windows 8.1 Battery Life

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some "googling" in regards to the battery life when updating to Windows 8.1.  I find that that battery life after updating to Windows 8.1 has been gimped.  However, after restoring back to Windows 8, my battery does just fine.

However, after several windows updates in early January, my battery life has declined again and I finally gave up and installed Windows 8.1 again a few days ago.  Again, I get the same result.  60% battery with hardrive saver mode and power saving mode on and I can barely last an hour.

Before that (In December) when I ran Windows 8, 60% battery can last me 2.5 hours no problem WITHOUT having to turn on hardrive saver (but I did turn on my performance settings to "Balanced"). 

I'm just wondering if anyone else having this issue?  I see no one else posting this.

As for drivers, as soon as I updated to windows 8.1, I downloaded all the available drivers that were on the Lenovo website and I did my Windows Updates.

Z3rgling
Paper Tape
Views: 1,518
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo y410p Windows 8.1 Battery Life

Bump

Former Employee
Views: 1,515
Message 3 of 11

Hi Z3rgling,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Was reading through your post and wanted to ask if you go into the BIOS, are you able to disable the the Always On USB function?

Hope ot hear back.

Regards
Z3rgling
Paper Tape
Views: 1,509
Message 4 of 11

Hi Nine,

The Always on USB function can be enabled and disabled without problems.  However, I just found out that the "Always on" USB function only works with one of the USBs.  I remember in Windows 8, both of them worked fine... But now only the one "furthest away from the CD drive" works. 

Former Employee
Views: 1,507
Message 5 of 11

HI Z3rgling,

Thanks for posting back. Not sure if this is a Win8.1 bug, but I'll need to check on this further, I'll post back as soona sI can get further updates.

Regards
Z3rgling
Paper Tape
Views: 1,505
Message 6 of 11

Hi Nine,

Thanks for replying back so quickly.  If it helps, I have the most updated drivers on everything... And I even used the Lenovo Energy Management to fully recharge and discharge my battery.  As for my battery life, I've only charged it to 100% maybe 5x ever since I've gotten the computer (August 2013).  I hope this helps

Z

Former Employee
Views: 1,498
Message 7 of 11

Hi Z3rgling,

I'm still checking out his case, Ciuld you take a look at the link below.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_MY/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT071804

I add more info once i get further details towards your case.

Regards
Z3rgling
Paper Tape
Views: 1,479
Message 8 of 11

Hi Nine,

Not to toot my own horn, but I do have some technical background.  I have tried all those steps.  Well I normally defrag + run virus scans on a weekly basis and I also did check out my CPU+Ram Usage.  It hasn't really changed since I've upgraded to Windows 8.1  There's not a huge noticable difference but Windows 8.1 does have a slightly slower startup time compared to the default factory Windows 8.

And yes I do have Windows Update periodically check and install updates.  I think... Like you said above, it could be a windows 8.1 bug.  However, I did do some google searching to see if anyone else has my problem, but it seems like I'm the only one with the problem.

Former Employee
Views: 1,465
Message 9 of 11

Hi Z3rgling,

My apologies if i've offended you in any form, was not my intention. Reason I posted the above was I just wanted to make sure I have not missed out anything. I'm checking with the teams in regards to this and awaiting their feed back. I'll update as soon as I can get further feed back.

Regards
Z3rgling
Paper Tape
Views: 1,454
Message 10 of 11

Hi Nine,

Don't worry, I didn't take it offensively even if it seemed as if I was offended.  I just wanted to make sure that you're not dealing with someone who has no computer background.  Like I take care of my technology so I'm pretty sure it's not "me" that is the problem.  That's all

Z

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors