Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexReed
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,714
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo y50 70 Gpu problem

Hello, so my problem is about my Gpu. Currently Im using my intrigated gpu, intel hd 4600 but cpu-z shows me that i have gtx 960m + I even have a nvidia gtx logo on my laptop.

So my question is how can I use my nvidia 960m gpu instead of intel's?

Sorry for my bad english.

Any help is appreciated

Homin
Token Ring
Views: 2,678
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo y50 70 Gpu problem

It is not a problem. It is design to be that way. ALL program that needed GPU render will using Intel GPU. Unless you told Nvidia Card to 'help' the Intel GPU to render in selected program/game. This is called 'Optimus'. Also, some old games cannot use Nvidia GPU even you've set to use Nvidia (However, those games normally run very smoothly on Intel GPU).

It is not only Lenovo. Most Gaming Laptop/normal Laptop use this 'Optimus' to get longer and better bettery life... well, some high-grade gaming Laptop (ex. MSI) don't have this 'Optimus'. Also, some very old Laptop also don't have 'Optimus' thus will easily overheated.

So, You cannot use Nvidia GTX960M on your Laptop exclusively (you cannot run your laptop with only Nvidia GPU working). But you can told Nvidia Card to render your selected programs/games.

PS. Also, DO NOT TRY to use modified BIOS to disable Intel GPU. You'll get blank screen and cannot saw anything at all on your laptop (It is a very old trick which will not work on most Laptop that using 'Optimus' now). Thus, needed to reset BIOS. which ill be very difficult.

AlexReed
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,673
Message 3 of 5

@Homin wrote:

It is not a problem. It is design to be that way. ALL program that needed GPU render will using Intel GPU. Unless you told Nvidia Card to 'help' the Intel GPU to render in selected program/game. This is called 'Optimus'. Also, some old games cannot use Nvidia GPU even you've set to use Nvidia (However, those games normally run very smoothly on Intel GPU).

It is not only Lenovo. Most Gaming Laptop/normal Laptop use this 'Optimus' to get longer and better bettery life... well, some high-grade gaming Laptop (ex. MSI) don't have this 'Optimus'. Also, some very old Laptop also don't have 'Optimus' thus will easily overheated.

So, You cannot use Nvidia GTX960M on your Laptop exclusively (you cannot run your laptop with only Nvidia GPU working). But you can told Nvidia Card to render your selected programs/games.

PS. Also, DO NOT TRY to use modified BIOS to disable Intel GPU. You'll get blank screen and cannot saw anything at all on your laptop (It is a very old trick which will not work on most Laptop that using 'Optimus' now). Thus, needed to reset BIOS. which ill be very difficult.

So my laptop automatically changes between nvidia and intel?

And why I can't see my nvidia gpu in device manager (display adapter)? Why nvidia can't detect my gpu? It says "Nvidia GeForce requires an NVIDIA GPU (which i have?).refer to the..."

Homin
Token Ring
Views: 2,670
Message 4 of 5

There are 2 poosibility.

1. It is disabled in the BIOS. (You can google on how to Enable it).

2. You have not install a proper Nvidia Driver yet.

In case of 2. I suggest you download the Nvidia Driver from Lenovo website and install it. But if it 1, no metter what you do your OS will not detected Nvidia Card. Unless you go and change it back.

AlexReed
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,662
Message 5 of 5

Thank you so much, I got my problem solved.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors