Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-J
What's DOS?
Views: 938
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo y50-70 Unauthorized Wireless network card problem

I've bought my lenovo y50-70 2 months ago and I'm very happy with it, though, I am always having wi-fi issues. Everyone arround me would have a strong wifi connection and my laptop would just not see it or if it did it would drop the connection after 2 minutes. I tried new wifi drivers and reinstalling the network card (when I opened the laptop it was very loose, but none of this helped my problem.

Yesterday I bought a new network card, an Intel 7265 Wireless AC card, downloaded the drivers from the lenovo website. Uninstalled my old wifi card in device manager, opened my laptop, took out the old and put in the new card, reconnected the wires and closed the laptop back up.

Now when I try to boot I get an error stating "Unauthorized Wireless network card is plugged in. Power off and remove it"

I paniced a little but found out that when I disabled the wireless card in the BIOS I could fortunatly still boot into windows. I'm a little unsure why this card is not on the authorized cards whitelist because I know for a fact lenovo uses this card in many other y series laptops. I tried updating my bios to version 3.3, was on version 2.x. But no luck there. Is there any way I can get this wifi card to work? I've read a lot online and it seems that by hacking and flashing my BIOS I could get it to work. I have experience flashing a new BIOS but I do not want to do that on my laptop if it is unofficial, since there is no BIOS reset button.

I hope someone can help me, thanks in advance, Jan.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 931
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo y50-70 Unauthorized Wireless network card problem

Well it certainly seems to be the same issue as when I got my Thinkpad years ago. Lenovo chooses to restrict the use of cards not holding their ID # or whatever is the identifier in BIOS. 

No feasible way around it. You'd need to replace it with one Marked as Lenovo compatible and/or bearing the Lenovo label somewhere. You may be able to exchange it or get Lenovo to replace the original card.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors