cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Imrlymadnow
Paper Tape
Views: 1,881
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo y50-70, crashing, crashing, crashing, crashing(crashing)

Hi there. I am writing a post here because I am really mad. Few months ago I have bought my lenovo y50-70 4gb ram gtx960M and the problem occurs until today. The problem is, when I start to play "heavy" games ( like gta 5 or cs; go, lmao) this wonderlaptop crashes. Every time I launch a game, this lapop crashes. I can play 30 mins or 2 seconds but It ALWAYS CRASHES. Firstly, It said that nvidia driver stop responding bla bla bla. So I was searching solution in Internet. They told me to reinstall graphic drivers etc. Ok I did it. Guess what? Crash? Of course it crashes. I was very upset so I decided to update my windows. From W7 64b to W10 64b. Guess what? Ye ye, it still crashes. I turned on V-sync and It helps. Rly. Now i do not receive this annoying statement with "nvidia display stop responding bla bla bla" Now it only crashes without any errors. Sometimes with blue screen but rly rare (thx). Sound loops, image stops, and system crashes. I tried every driver, beta driver, hotfix driver, latest driver, non latest driver. JUST EVERY DRIVER. It doesnt help. I hope u will.

Regards!

@edit. All temps are fine. Idle 45-50 C  stress 55-65.

nitinvertigo
Serial Port
Views: 1,811
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo y50-70, crashing, crashing, crashing, crashing(crashing)

I had the same issue. It would crash with every game where nvidia card was used instead of intel. I tried various nvidia drivers but it didn't help. However I tried a really old driver 347.66 (not sure about the numbers after the ' . ') and it worked like a charm! No more crashes and the laptop is stable even after hours of gaming.

After that I have never updated the nvidia drivers

glopez8
Paper Tape
Views: 1,794
Message 3 of 9

have you guys tried downloading the "GeForce Experience" application? I used to have problems downloading latest graphics drivers, they would all say not compatible, then i downloaded this app and it updates to latest drivers w/out issues.

you should try and see if that works for you. I have a Y50-70 Touchscreen.

Kargen
Paper Tape
Views: 1,603
Message 4 of 9

I just bought this laptop and received it a couple days ago, and I am also experience repeated crashing, even when I turn the graphics down to a minimum. It even crashes when I play Hearthstone, which should not be so intensive. Very dissapointed, but will try the older driver and see how it works.

donstefano
Paper Tape
Views: 1,518
Message 5 of 9

Has anyone found a solution?
Kargen
Paper Tape
Views: 1,371
Message 6 of 9

I can say with some degree of confidence that I have found the solution to this issue. I contacted Lenovo phone support and was told to download some drivers (specifically for both video cards and a chipset one, but I don't remember which), and to not download any windows updates (since I'm running windows 10). I listened to the first piece of advice, but it didn't seem to help.

What really helped is the advice I found on this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-display-driver-has-s...

Two things there that helped: first is in the post marked as the "Answer" (shows right under the first post). There he explains how to disable TDR for your video drivers. Doing this helped the problem, but did not entirely solve it and generated other issues. What fully fixed the issue for me was on the second page of that thread, the third post (by prelo). He gives instructions for downloading a beta driver for the intel card. After doing that, I haven't had any more problems...

Until yesterday, after I allowed windows 10 to run an update. This was apparently a mistake, since it reverted both the change to TDR and the update to the intel driver, and immediately I started experiencing crashes again. I re-applied both of these changes, and now it is working without a problem.

I meant to post here about this a while ago, but kept forgetting. Now that I've had this experience with the windows 10 update, I am more confident in the fact that these measures are what solved the problem for me. I hope that this information can help someone else.

shingdao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,211
Message 7 of 9

Hello Kargen.

Thank you so much for sharing your solution to this problem!  Its been several months since your post and I wonder whether your solution still holds for you?  I've had the same sudden crashes on my Y50-70 for over a year now with no real relief...I've since applied the beta graphics driver and other suggested fixes in the link you provided and so far, after 3 days, I've had no further crashes of the system or the Intel Graphics card!  Lenovo was not much help other than to point to updating drivers which I did a year ago and continued to do with no change in symptoms.  I can't begin to express how happy I am that this may indeed be resolved for me too!     

Kargen
Paper Tape
Views: 1,181
Message 8 of 9

I'm very glad I was able to help you! Yes, this solution is still working for me now, and in fact I've completely forgotten about the crashing issue since it never happens anymore. I hope you can enjoy your computer now that it works properly.

Homin
Token Ring
Views: 1,172
Message 9 of 9

IDK, if this is related. Since I thought this post was recently but turn out to be very old (lol).

I want to gave out 1 thing, the solution post on Microsoft website is for Intel Driver NOT for Nvidia Driver... If you still encounter the problem even now, update to the lastest Nvidia Driver will fixed the problem. Also, TDR did not really fixed the problem (for me, it did delay the notice of the crash but the problem still persist).

For more information. In the past, one of the Nvidia Driver made the Y50-70 system crash after using it's full render power. However the problem fixed after about 1 month of the problem, or just using old driver will also works. This problem is not from Lenovo or Intel, it is Nvidia that make the System crash (BSOD). Also, I think the problem did occur 2 times already (that is why on the second time I can fixed it right away).

Anyway, non of the problem (both Intel and Nvidia) will occur now if you are using lastest up-to-this-date driver. But I will not guarantee about newer driver that will came out after this though (lol).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors