Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mister_David
Paper Tape
Views: 2,228
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo y50-70 randomly shuts off

So I recently bought a Lenovo y50-70 Notebook. After 2 days, when i upgraded from.Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and installed all the drivers it started to shut off at random times. When i was playing, using youtube, facebook and sometimes even why i just try to connect to a wifi network. It sometimes makes a pop sound when shutting off and sometimes it doesn't. It's not overheating, i know that.

If someone knows how can i fix this, I'd appreciate the help. It's a brand new laptop that i don't even have for a week yet. Don't really want to give it in for warranty because i need it for work everyday.
nMarco92
Paper Tape
Views: 2,189
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo y50-70 randomly shuts off

Mine used to freeze, to a weird loud noise and then shut down doing a pop sound. After I upgraded the BIOS to v3.03 it did not hapeen anymore.
It happened especially when watching YouTube videos, I also had a couple of BSOD: DPC_Watchdog_Violation or something like that. Since I upgraded the bios the issue disappeared.
Mister_David
Paper Tape
Views: 2,184
Message 3 of 9

My BIOS are v3.03, downloaded and installed from Lenovo support.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,172
Message 4 of 9

@Mister_David wrote:
So I recently bought a Lenovo y50-70 Notebook. After 2 days, when i upgraded from.Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and installed all the drivers it started to shut off at random times. When i was playing, using youtube, facebook and sometimes even why i just try to connect to a wifi network. It sometimes makes a pop sound when shutting off and sometimes it doesn't. It's not overheating, i know that.

If someone knows how can i fix this, I'd appreciate the help. It's a brand new laptop that i don't even have for a week yet. Don't really want to give it in for warranty because i need it for work everyday.

I don't have the unit but I would like to inquire if the unit does not have the problem if you just upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 without installing drivers after the upgrade?

Mister_David
Paper Tape
Views: 2,167
Message 5 of 9

I did install without any drivers. I had to download them on a seperate laptop and use a flash drive. Before installing the drivers there wasn't any problems because i couldn't really do much.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,146
Message 6 of 9

@Mister_David wrote:
I did install without any drivers. I had to download them on a seperate laptop and use a flash drive. Before installing the drivers there wasn't any problems because i couldn't really do much.

That's what I have experience. So to upgrade to Win 10 upgrade your drivers first while in Win 8.1. After upgrading to Win 10 any issues that you observed only needs the corresponding driver to be reinstalled or updated. You see Win 10 tend to use its own driver so just leave it that way and only make changes when necessary.

akillas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,082
Message 7 of 9

@nMarco92 wrote:
Mine used to freeze, to a weird loud noise and then shut down doing a pop sound. After I upgraded the BIOS to v3.03 it did not hapeen anymore.
It happened especially when watching YouTube videos, I also had a couple of BSOD: DPC_Watchdog_Violation or something like that. Since I upgraded the bios the issue disappeared.

hi

i have a Y50 and when i try to access the bios it hungs and i have to shut it down with the power button

My bios version is 1.09 ...the reason i try to access the bios setup is because the y50 after a nvidia update started

to ...freeze like you said with a looped loud sound and usually when i was watchin youtube videos...i shut it down with power button and ends up with a loud pop sound as it shuts down...should i try to update the bios?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cauQ2NiuTIM

nMarco92
Paper Tape
Views: 2,067
Message 8 of 9

I am just a user like you. BIOS never hung up like it does to you. I could operate the BIOS normally. What happened to me was that after Windows 10 was being launched, my laptop shut down. The second time I pressed the power button everything booted up normally. This hasn't occurred anymore since I unchecked "Fast Start-Up" in Windows 10 Power Options --> Choose what the power buttons do.

Another issue I had earlier was that it freeyes with a strong noie and then after then seconds the laptop restarted with a loud "pop" sound at shutdown. I had several DPC_Watchdogs_Violation (only with Windows 10, never with Windows 8.1). This has not occurred anymore since I updated my BIOS.

Kejsaren
Paper Tape
Views: 1,683
Message 9 of 9

I'll have to try this. Got the same issue as you did and now i unchecked the fast boot. Hopefully it will work. Will get back to this in a few days.

Edit: 25/01/2016 Still got the same problem. Problem still occurs after first bootup in about a minute. After next boot up, it still randomly shuts off. 

Any other tips or should i deliver this as a warrenty issue?

Thought maybe try to reinstall windows from scratch in case this is software related. 

@nMarco92 wrote:

I am just a user like you. BIOS never hung up like it does to you. I could operate the BIOS normally. What happened to me was that after Windows 10 was being launched, my laptop shut down. The second time I pressed the power button everything booted up normally. This hasn't occurred anymore since I unchecked "Fast Start-Up" in Windows 10 Power Options --> Choose what the power buttons do.

Another issue I had earlier was that it freeyes with a strong noie and then after then seconds the laptop restarted with a loud "pop" sound at shutdown. I had several DPC_Watchdogs_Violation (only with Windows 10, never with Windows 8.1). This has not occurred anymore since I updated my BIOS.

Thank you! 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors