cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michvtr
Paper Tape
Views: 57,136
Message 1 of 31

Lenovo y500 COMPLETE mSata SSD Installation Guide (both Hardware and Software)

Hi guys, thought I’d make a complete guide to help people who want to install or upgrade an mSata SSD Drive (Solid Slate Drive). If you don’t own one already, they are basically SSDs in a smaller form factor and can be found on sale frequently, please note that mSata SSDs are just a little more expensive than ordinary larger SSDs due to their smaller size.

Let’s jump to the hardware installation process.

Hardware Installation:

1. Remove back cover of your Lenovo y500 laptop by removing unmarked screws.

2. The mSata card slot is located to your lower right while the battery pack should be away from you. Notice that theres another mSata slot that is currently being occupied by a wifi card.

3. Discharge yourself from static electricity by touching a metal object. Place the mSata card into the slot and secure it with a single screw.

4. Close the back cover and secure with screws.

At this point:

BIOS (can be accessed by pressing the F2 key) should have properly identified the mSata SSD Drive.

Going Ahead:

You want BIOS Boot Priority Order to be the mSata SSD First, your HDD Second, and the others last (including Network-iPv4 stuff and Lenovo Recovery).

Important: **Keep it in UEFI Method.*** DO NOT choose Legacy.

If the above doesn’t work, I’d turn off Secure Boot.

Software Installation:

- Use a 3rd party HDD Clone software such as Macrium Reflect or AOMEI to clone the contents of your HDD to your mSata SSD.

- Copy the partitions WINRE_DRV, SYSTEM_DRV, LRS_ESP, Windows8_OS(CSmiley Happy onto your mSata SSD, leave out the Lenovo D: and PRB_DVR until later if possible. Lenovo D: contains all of your necessary drivers which I didn’t find necessary and opted to just install the nVidia Graphics Driver v.320.18 instead (can be easily found on nVidia's website).

PRB_DRV is probably a hidden recovery partition.

- After this process completes, restart your computer and it should be running on the mSata SSD now. Congratulations!

Common Error Messages:

->>For Atheros PCIE v2.1.1.1 (12/21/11)

Check Cable Connection!

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No Bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key. <<--

This error message occurs when the user chooses the Legacy Support boot method which confuses the BIOS into thinking that the SSD Drive is corrupted, it seems to perfectly work with ordinary 2.5” SSD but not with the mSata SSD. Please change the Boot method to UEFI should you encounter this error message. Another cause of this error is having the Boot from Network on top of the list of your boot priority list. To solve this problem, move Boot from Network to the very bottom and the SSD to the top.

I hope this clears up some problems that people like myself are experiencing.

If you have any questions, please holler out.

Thanks for letting me share.

maxmts
Paper Tape
Views: 56,895
Message 2 of 31

Re: Lenovo y500 COMPLETE mSata SSD Installation Guide (both Hardware and Software)

What about One Key Recovery? Does OKR work after making the switch?  

Secondly can you tell me what kind of mSata SSD did you choose? I was thinking of buying the Plexor M5M 256GB as I heard of a lot of Crucial M4 fail. 

The third question is: How do you set up Macrium cu align the data on the clone in 4k sectors. is ti done automatically or there is a special setting.

michvtr
Paper Tape
Views: 56,849
Message 3 of 31

Re: Lenovo y500 COMPLETE mSata SSD Installation Guide (both Hardware and Software)

Hi maxmts, 

Thanks for responding to my post.

OKR would unfortunately not work after making the switch due to the Lenovo D: Partition not being copied, if you are able to copy this partition, then it should work just fine in most cases. Lenovo D: contains all of your key driver installation files necessary for your computer parts to be recognized and function properly. 

Question 2: There are alot of mSata SSDs avaliable on the market, brands such as Plextor and Crucial both work great, but I found that Plextor is relatively cheaper yet of the same quality whereas compared to other top brands such as Crucial, Sandisk, and Plextor. Remember, the faster the read/write speeds, the better your mSata SSD will perform!

Question 3: To use Macrium, just open it up and select all of your partitions up until the unallocated spaces, doing so would copy all of your exisiting files while not copying your recovery and Lenovo Installation Files which you could always access on your main HDD should you not wipe it. 

Let me know if you have any other questions, I hope you find this helpful. 

Thanks, 

Michael

maxmts
Paper Tape
Views: 56,603
Message 4 of 31

I gave up One key recovery afterall. I had problems with the bios and Windows 8 not seeing the msata. After a few resets a popup showed up asking for a format. When I created the USB i had to format it as Fat32 ntfs won't work with Uefi. Btw I have both drives in the laptop. Installation went smoothly on the ssd, installed drivers from the lenovo drivers partition. Now I can boot both windows 8 os's. I'm keeping the old OS because it doesn't bother me and maybe I'll need it someday.. Moved temporary folder from the Ssd os on the old drive so I can keep the writes to a minimum. Done the same with temporary Internet files. Made the page file smaller. Disabled the hibernation and fast startup aka hybrid sleep.

I will try to find a solution to backup the os. Maybe someone has a suggestion? Maybe make OKR work?
Jimbo_029
Paper Tape
Views: 40,914
Message 5 of 31

Hi, 

Thank you for the guide. I have had a little problem that I am hoping you can help with. When I cloned my HDD to the SSD, Macrium Reflect made the WINRE_DRV parition into a full partition with a drive letter (D) and the Windows_OS pation has the letter F. Now when I try and boot from the SSD, it boots to the recovery and not the OS. Please help me, I am not sure what to do.

soapmak3r
Paper Tape
Views: 40,414
Message 6 of 31

None of these methods worked for me with my Y500 unfortunately. If I enabled UEFI, the Crucial mSata didn't show up in the boot list at all, and if I ran under legacy compatibility, I was presented with the error message:

->>For Atheros PCIE v2.1.1.1 (12/21/11)

Check Cable Connection!

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No Bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key.

I pretty much wasted 12 or more hours trying all the different methods and figuring out a solution. Very frustrating...

I can however report that I finally did get it to work perfectly with Paragon Hard Disk Manager 14, which supports Win8.1.

It eventually worked very smoothly with it's OS migration to SSD tool. I ticked the box saying to fill up the whole disk, and the other one to create a Windows boot 'something' and it did the rest...I rebooted, checked the BIOS and it was already set up.

Boots in about 10 seconds now and the desktop is instantly usuable. Save yourself all the hassle that I went through today and just use the Paragon software. It's simple to use and it works perfectly. This guide must have only been relevant pre-Win8.1.

IIXPhoenixXII
Paper Tape
Views: 39,548
Message 7 of 31

I want a SSD with a good amount of space (500GB+) to replace the HDD in my Y500. Are there any you would reccomend?

P.S the only reason I need all the space is because I'm having trouble finding a HDD caddy to fit my ultrabay (so I can pop the 1TB HDD from the laptop into there). If anyone has any suggestions for caddy's that will actually fit please let me know!

soapmak3r
Paper Tape
Views: 39,544
Message 8 of 31

I didn't replace the stock hard drive. I put in an additional 120GB Crucial mSATA SSD. There is a free mSATA slot in the Y500.

This means that you can use the mSATA SSD for the OS and still have about 60GB free for games or other things, while you still have the 1TB drive for storage.

A 120GB mSATA SSD is relatively inexpensive. There are 480GB ones as well though. Just search for mSATA SSD on amazon or wherever you prefer to shop for electronics.

IIXPhoenixXII
Paper Tape
Views: 39,509
Message 9 of 31

So I can just buy a mSATA and pop in into the computer without removing the 1TB HDD that's already in there? If so that makes things considerablly easier (and cheaper)!

soapmak3r
Paper Tape
Views: 39,498
Message 10 of 31

That is correct. All you need to do is remove the back plate (which can be a little fiddly) and with the battery slot facing away from you, the mSATA slot is in the bottom right hand corner.

You just have to slot it in and then screw it down with the screw provided (the Crucial ones come with 2 screws).

Then you can simply clone the OS to the SSD using the Paragon software I mentioned in the post before your first question.

It worked flawlessly for me and was totally hassle free. I tried all of the other guides on these forums and none of them work with Win 8.1. I found out the hard way.

If you check youtube there is a video showing you exactly how to remove the back plate and install the drive, and the  Paragon software will do the rest for you.

You may need to intitialise the mSATA drive within Windows disk manager first though.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors