cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IIXPhoenixXII
Paper Tape
Views: 3,323
Message 11 of 31

Re: Lenovo y500 COMPLETE mSata SSD Installation Guide (both Hardware and Software)

Ok so I removed the back casing to the laptop and this is what I found.

Where abouts would the msata go? I can see no obvious slots however, there may be more casing that I need to remove. If you could link me to a youtube vid showing exactly what to do that would be awesome.

Picture1.jpg

IIXPhoenixXII
Paper Tape
Views: 3,319
Message 12 of 31

Re: Lenovo y500 COMPLETE mSata SSD Installation Guide (both Hardware and Software)

Is it possibly the small-ish square slot in the bottom right hand corner next to the RAM?

soapmak3r
Paper Tape
Views: 3,318
Message 13 of 31

As I said in my last post, it's the small slot on the bottom right corner. mSATA SSDs are tiny. A fraction of the size of normal SSDs.

The other mSATA port is being used by the WIFI card which is around the centre/bottom. That will give you an idea of how small an mSATA SSD is.

As I said, there are videos on youtube showing you exactly where it should go if you are still in doubt. Also, make sure that you are staticly discharged before touching anything because you could damage components.

IIXPhoenixXII
Paper Tape
Views: 3,314
Message 14 of 31

Ah my apologies I read your post a little quickly before having the urge to dismantle my laptop so I missed you saying it was in the bottom right hand corner!

I'm very impressed that they're that small. I shall invest in a msata asap and make sure to de-static myself before installing. Am I correct in assuming the Paragon software is compatible with windows 8 (I've yet to upgrade to 8.1)? Your method of getting the OS onto the SSD sounds a little easier than the main post's suggestion.

soapmak3r
Paper Tape
Views: 3,312
Message 15 of 31

It should be backwards compatible with Windows 8, but it definitely works with 8.1, unlike the other guides. It was very straight forward too.

I left the original OS on the original hard drive just in case anything went wrong, but it's be grand for a month or so now. Really pleased with the upgrade. It makes a massive difference.
IIXPhoenixXII
Paper Tape
Views: 3,304
Message 16 of 31

Awesome Smiley Happy I'm just having a look at the SSD cards that Crucial have. I've found the one you have used and I'm probably going to go with that. However, I've noticed they have a 240GB version for about £38 more but I can't really see any advantage in having a larger SSD just for the OS as all my files/games will go on the HDD. Unless I'm missing anything?

I've also had a look at the Paragon website. Is it possible to just use the trial version of the software for transfering the OS or am I going to have to invest in the full version?

Just out of interest I know putting the operating system onto a SSD will make the boot up very fast but does it have any other noticable advantages? 

soapmak3r
Paper Tape
Views: 3,291
Message 17 of 31

Running games from the SSD will technically make them load faster and run smoother as streaming data from the SSD will be much faster in general.

Applications will load faster in general. As soon as the desktop appears, there is no waiting for all the background and start-up tasks to load. Everything will load straight away.

The computer will also wake from sleep in literally 1 second.

As far as I know you can clone the OS with the trial version.

IIXPhoenixXII
Paper Tape
Views: 3,288
Message 18 of 31

Since I (hopefully) won't have to buy the full version of the Paragon software I think I'll invest that £30 or so in getting the larger SSD. So I can make ALL of the THINGS faster lol.

I had a feeling things in general would be a little faster as all the OS stuff in the background is running at super speed.

I'm just about to place my order for the SSD. Thanks so much for all your help! You won't believe the amount of time I've wasted today looking at other options at fitting a SSD never realising my laptop had a empty space for the **bleep** thing.

soapmak3r
Paper Tape
Views: 3,286
Message 19 of 31

No bother. Hopefully it all goes smoothly for you.

If you can't use the trial of Paragon to clone the OS to the SSD and you are running stock Windows 8, the guide at the start of this thread, and the free applications should work fine for you. It is a bit of a headache to follow though.

allroy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,086
Message 20 of 31

Many thanks to michvtr for creating this guide. It was very helpful.

I just wanted to second what soapmak3r said about using Paragon Hard Disk Manager 14. After trying all day with a couple other programs, Paragon was able to migrate Windows 8.1 from my 1TB HDD to a 250GB SSD in less than an hour. As of now, I'm booting from the SSD while also keeping my old installation of Windows intact on the HDD just in case. Plus, with all the original partitions still in place on the HDD, OneKey Recovery still seems to work.

Before Paragon, I first tried Acronis True Image which encountered an error and ended up making windows unbootable. I hit an error screen every time I started the computer up, it would restart and try to repair the problem automatically, then it would dump me into the recovery menu. Luckily I was able to do a system restore from the recovery screen.

Next I tried EaseUS Todo Backup which took 8 hours to clone 130GB worth of data. After the process was done, the drive letters still weren't right. Even with the cloned SSD booting first, my old HDD was still set as the C drive. I'm sure there was a way to fix this, but I was hesitant to mess with the registry and wanted to avoid opening up the laptop again to disconnect the HDD.

So finally I tried out Paragon's "Migrate OS to SSD" function as soapmak3r suggested and within an hour I was up and running from my SSD!

The only real issue afterward was that the cloned version of Windows was no longer activated. I had to call an automated system from Microsoft and go through a rather annoying process of entering a seemlngly endless amount of numbers, but it really only took maybe 5 minutes or so to do.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors