cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxmts
Paper Tape
Views: 2,225
Message 21 of 31

Re: Lenovo y500 COMPLETE mSata SSD Installation Guide (both Hardware and Software)

Hello again guys...

I had my y500 sent to Medion for video card issues and received it today in working order and MB replaced. Happy days!

Despite all the bad reviews about the warranty for lenovo UK  everything went smooth and got my laptop back in 20 days whick is fast enough keeping in mind the service is located in Germany. Trust almost restored in LenovoSmiley Happy

Enough with the off topic.

Before sending it for warranty repairs I removed the Plextor MSATA SSD 256GB which held my working Windows 8.1 OS, and was left with the original OS on the 1TB hdd which made OKR work again BTW.

Ok, now I received it and fitted the Plextor SSD back in its place waiting for it to boot without any problems but I can't seem to be able to make the system boot from the SSD. I tried every combination in BIOS but still the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

michvtr
Paper Tape
Views: 2,210
Message 22 of 31

Re: Lenovo y500 COMPLETE mSata SSD Installation Guide (both Hardware and Software)

hey maxmts,

have you checked your Bios to see if the Boot Mode is set to Legacy or
UEFI, I would try both options to see if the SSD is recognized and boots
up, try Legacy first though. If that doesn't work I would advise that you
remove your mechanical hard drive and try to boot up with the SSD alone,
this should bring to light any issues regarding having an OS installed on
both drives. Hope this helps and remember to post updates.

Thanks,
Michael

soapmak3r
Paper Tape
Views: 2,207
Message 23 of 31

The most likely cause is that when you returned the laptop to be repaired, they reinstalled Win8 from the backup media and restored factory defaults, which would mean that you would need to configure the laptop to boot from your SSD again...

Which will likely require a Win8 repair disk/USB pen and possibly that you disconnect the 1TB drive after using a utility (like Paragon HD manager 14) to set the 1TB drive to 'inactive' and the SSD to 'active' if it isn't already active.

Then you will need to run the startup repair through the repair disk 3 times in a row, and on the 3rd time it will rewrite the boot sector to the SSD. That is how it works for Win7 anyway.

I just had to do this on my desktop with Win7 installed and it worked fine, but with Win8 it may have changed, so you would need to look into that yourself.

It may be as simple as using Paragon 14 to set the 1TB drive to 'inactive' as you already have a boot sector on your SSD, so try that first, but make sure that the SSD is 'active' and that you have a repair disk for win8 first, because if it doesn't boot from the SSD or the 1TB drive you are stuck and will have to do a full reinstall (if you even have the install disk).

maxmts
Paper Tape
Views: 2,194
Message 24 of 31

Hi,
Last time when I did this it worked flawlessly with both hdds in uefi mode
and could select which one I want to boot from. Now I had to use legacy
mode so the bios could detect the msata ssd as a boot device. I think it
has to do with the bios type. I don't actually remember what type of bios I
had on the other main board they changed due to video issues but on this
one I have the insydeh2o which is definitely different and probably doesn't
have msata boot capabilities.
In the end I had to install a fresh copy of windows 8 on the msata ssd in
legacy mode and now everything is ok. Boot time ~5 seconds on a 256 msata
plextor and windows 8.1.
Thanks for your help!

nafiskarim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,782
Message 25 of 31

Thanks soapmak3r a lot for mentioning about 'Paragon Hard Disk Manager' .. Steps came prerry easy for me combining the original post and your post. Cheers

askit
What's DOS?
Views: 1,760
Message 26 of 31

Thanks a million man.

After I finished the process with Paragon Migrate OS to SSD I almosty wanted to cry for the 10+ hours I had already wasted on this. it was extremely easy.

totally worth the 10£ I paid for it.

Bottom line. 

With Paragon Migrate OS to SSD:

1) get and install the programm and run it (I used version 4 that I know supports UEFI).

2) Read carefully the points and go through the process of the programm. My 50GB OS took about 25 min to complete.

it will clone the partition with the OS from the hard drive you want, including necessary support partitions mentioned above and finall create the UEFI entry that is needed to boot from the msata ssd (I believe this is in te form of aseparate partition).

3) restart and your system should boot from the msata drive. (if not check that in the boot order of your bios the msata disk is before your previous disk you were migrating from. )

Worked like a charm. Everything was transfered even my latezst chrome and firefox tabs that I was using as the process took place.

Again thanks m8

I should have looked here sooner

CHeers

vchunduri
What's DOS?
Views: 1,141
Message 27 of 31

Sorry to post this question here but I couldn't get my existing ssd out from y500 laptop as I am unaware of what the screw type was and what screw driver should I use to get that out. Could any one help me please? By the way it seems that the screw got stripped. Any help on how I could get the stripped screw out and what screw should I be using for mounting the ssd and what type of screw driver should I be of using would be of great help and much appreciated. thanks.

Zeyko
Paper Tape
Views: 828
Message 28 of 31

My 16GB mSata Disk is faulty, I cant access into it, does it have any information saved on the disk? I just bought a 256GB mSata to replace the 16GB faulty mSata. what I should do? it is just plug and play? or do I have to download any drivers or make a config ?

Madhur2210
Paper Tape
Views: 319
Message 29 of 31

Hello Michvtr,

The HDD in my laptop Y500 is damaged and I want to replace it with SSD.

The technical support from Lenovo says that my laptop does not support SSD. However, as I can read here in the forum, many have changed it to SSD.

I am confused. Please help.

diatisten
What's DOS?
Views: 298
Message 30 of 31

This is usefull for me thanks a lot 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors