Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psskobraa
Paper Tape
Views: 1,339
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo y500 black screen after the lenovo logo slows down boot time

Recently i bought a Lenovo y500 laptop with 12 ram and 16gigs of SSD. It came with Windows 8 by deffault and what i wanted was to install Linux Ubuntu 12.04 alognside with the Windows 8. It didn't work out, because i could only log into linux. When i tried to log in in Widonws it said: "unknown command drivemap      invalid EFI file path, so i used the one key recovery.It loaded Windows but i noticed 2 things:

1st. After loading the Lenovo logo the screen turns black without the cursor on it and stays that way for about 17-25 sec. That means that from 20 sec boot time now it is 40+.How could i fix that one?

2nd. After creating the backup i divided the 1tb disk into smaller discs and after the rocovery they were the way i left them with all the games and media on them. I thought that the one key recovery would undo the partiton i have made.

The 2nd one isnt bugging me out so much but the 20 secs extra boot time do. The changes i have made in bios are disabling secure boot and switching boot mode from UEFI to legacy. After that i switched secure boot to enabled and the boot mode to UEFI as it was in the beginning.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,313
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo y500 black screen after the lenovo logo slows down boot time

hi psskobraa,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Regarding your questions:

1. The additional 17-25sec boot time is probably caused by the UEFI Firmware / UEFI boot loader (see this flowchart) - this probably got modified when you installed Ubuntu. Can you try to boot back into the BIOS, press F9 to load default settings then press F10 to save It settings. If this doesn't work, is the boot time the same when Disabling Secure Boot and UEFI set to Disabled/Legacy first?

2. OneKey Recovery usually reimage the OS partition only (i.e. C:\) and will not affect any other partitions (i.e. D:\)

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

psskobraa
Paper Tape
Views: 1,292
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo y500 black screen after the lenovo logo slows down boot time

On the next morning when i turned the PC the black screen problem was gone. So i decided to give ubuntu one more try. This time everything worked just fine. I installed ubuntu 12.04 alongside windows 8 and i was able to use both of the operating systems. After that i noticed that the same black screen problem was back. Another thing is that in the f12 menu i have 3 ubuntu boots-1 working and 2 probably from previous ubuntu installation attempts. Do you have any idea how i can delete the unnecessary linux boots.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors