11-10-2014 08:56 AM
I've had a Lenovo y500 laptop since June 2013, and had no issues with it. It has been a reliable laptop and I have been extremely pleased with the purchase. However last Sunday (11/2) I went downstairs to boot up the laptop while watching the Walking Dead and all I could get to happen was for it to show the Lenovo splash screen as the bios loads.
Since then I have searched the net and have been unable to find anyone with the exact problem I had. However a number of threads on this forum and other forums offered suggestions. Despite all of my attempts I still cannot get it to do anything but display the black screen with the White Lenovo logo.
Here are the things that I have had suggested and tried....
- Unhooked all USB devices - Lenovo Splash Screen Only
- Verified that USB ports are still in good working order and not grounding against shielding
- Removed Second Video Card - Lenovo Splash Screen Only
- Removing the Battery and booting with power supply only - Lenovo Splash Screen Only
- Letting battery run down completely and booting from power supply only - Lenovo Splash Screen Only
- Pressing the Novo Button- Lenovo Splash Screen Only
- Removed Ram and Reseated - Lenovo Splash Screen Only
- Removed Harddrive and Reseated - Lenovo Splash Screen Only
- Removed Ram - Reseating Single Stick of Ram Each time - Lenovo Splash Screen Only
- Removed Harddrive and Placed Known Good Harddrive in place - Lenovo Splash Screen Only
- Removed Ram completey - Black screen with no beeps or other noise
At this point I have tried every possible thing I can think of that I know how to do on my own. The bios appears to just be locked while loading. I cannot get it to load into the bios config or the recovery menu by pressing the Novo button in any combination. I am completely stumped, and unfortunately I have yet to see a post with anything close to the same behavior I am experiencing.
I would appreciate any suggestions that I might not have tried. At this point I think both the Harddrive and the Ram are not likely causes due to all the troubleshooting above.
01-02-2015 05:03 PM - edited 01-02-2015 06:44 PM
Did you ever get this figured out? Mine was doing the same thing. I finally went through and pulled the SSD. Its working for now without the SSD. If you install it, it sticks again.