Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 6 (266 Views)

Lenovo y510P Dual 2nd Graphics Card not firing?

Hey Everyone,

I've recently noticed my laptop slowing as I played games like h1z1 on the lowest setting. Eventually, I would get error messages about my GPU when the game would crash. I noticed my drivers were out of date and SLI was also not enabled. I have since updated the drivers and enabled SLI but I still get many of the same problems. 

The laptop has two GeForce GT 750M's. I downloaded MSI afterburner and it shows both graphics cards at 135/405MHz at rest. But while gaming, the second graphics card remains at that same amount and relatively the same temperature while graphics card number one goes to about 1058/2499MHz and 75-90 degrees C temperatures. I've also taken out the ultrabay with graphics card number 2 out and put it back in to make sure it wasn't loose.

I honestly don't know what any of the data really means, but I'm really hoping to get this fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Let me know if I can provide any more information!

Guru
Message 2 of 6 (196 Views)

Re: Lenovo y510P Dual 2nd Graphics Card not firing?

Hi Kevster

Not every game uses SLI, are you sure H1Z1 can make use of it?

Did it use both GPUs before?

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 6 (192 Views)

Hey Rocky,

Thanks for the response! I was not completely sure if H1 did before, but it seems the second graphics card does not run with any game. I went to manage 3D settings on the nvidia control panel and on "SLI Rendering Mode" the setting reads as "Use global setting (NVIDIA Recommended)" I've been told that if it says this then it is supposed to use SLI. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks!

Guru
Message 4 of 6 (190 Views)

No sir, that is not what that setting means. Each game has its own support for SLI and there may be tweaks you can do to enable SLI for some. Not sure which games you have tried, but I can suggest one solution -

Go to  3D Settings > Program Settings

Select the game exe program in the dropdown.

For SLI rendering mode, choose Force Alternate frame rendering.

Save and close

Now, with this setting you SHOULD see the second GPU being used, but it might not give any performance boost. It just depends on the game.

Which other games have you tried?

Have you checked the official game forums or reddit to see if those games have official SLI support?

Which software are you using to check GPU usage and temps?

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 6 (184 Views)

You're actually very right, H1 doesn't seem to support SLI. CS:GO was the other game I was talking about that does support SLI but I must have read MSI Afterburner before I was in a game. I tried the force alternate frame option and it just seems to crash H1 when joining a server. 

Thanks you!

I appreciate the help!

Best,

-Kevin 

Guru
Message 6 of 6 (181 Views)

ok sounds good.

That force alternate frame trick works with some games only,  but you also have to keep a close watch because it can sometimes overheat the 2nd GPU (if unsupported originally) and system will shut down.

Thank you.

Top kudoed Authors