Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dirtyhippysheep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 946
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo y510P - Random Reboot and Power Button Issues

Hi everyone - I have 2 issues with my y510p (it's a little less than a year old, so with the warranty coming up I figured I may want to get some second opinions).

The first is that recently, say within the last month or so, it has developed the habit of rebooting for no discernible reason and with no warning.  It will just snap to a black screen instantly.

I've done a full refrresh of my Windows 8. I've run all the validation tools I could think of (hard drive/mem/OS files/etc.)

There's nothing particular evident in my event viewer except for this in my system errors:

'The description for Event ID 0 from source GeneStor cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

GeneStor driver started
GeneStor driver started (2)'

I believe they are connected because before the crashes started to occur the Onekey Recovery application would start randomly opening multiple instances of itself.'

As an addendum, it also appear that I am getting kernal-power event 41

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

----

The other issue which may or may not be related is with the power button. It doesn't seem to always work properly - that is, holding it will not seem to register.  I cannot use it to shut down my laptop, and if my laptop is shut down any other way, the only way to power it back on is to hit the power button in conjuction with a bunch of random keys.  I do not know why this works, which is a bit alarming.

That defect has been present since I bought it, but I liked the laptop enough to not really care as much as I should've. 

Thanks for any help anyone can provide with these problems.

dirtyhippysheep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 863
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo y510P - Random Reboot and Power Button Issues

So as a heads up for anyone else that might be encountering either of these issues - I called support just now and I'm sending it off for repair.  Bit of a bummer since this is my work machine (thankfully I have my t500 from college still kicking around to use in the meantime).

Tech support was really nice and quick. Didn't make me walk through the diagnostics/troubleshooting I'd already done which is refreshing.

Hopefully this is just a fluke because apart from these issues I really like this machine (and as I said, my thinkpad is rock solid.)

jhrmcl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 817
Message 3 of 4

Thanks, I also have this error. Looks like I will be sending it to support as well. 

dirtyhippysheep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 594
Message 4 of 4

So almost a year ago to the day this is happening again, only this time it won't boot at all. Completely dead black screen.

Seems like these mobos have a 1 year shelf-life. 

Oh and also, I'm now out of warranty so I can eat the absurd cost for a repair or let this doorstop sit around my apartment.

I'm thinking this is the last lenovo machine I buy.

Top Kudoed Authors