Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
darkdiver
Blue Screen Again
Views: 228
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo y510p GPU overheats with external monitor

Hello, I am using y510p with GeForce 755m and it works fine when I am playing World of Warcraft on the laptop monitor.

Recently I have bought a new monitor (Dell 4K Monitors P2415Q) that I connect via HDMI (1.4) cable and set "show only the second monitor option". When I start playing GPU temp go HIGH up to 100C' and then it turns off and switches to Intel internal GPU and I get 10 fps while my main GPU is cooling.

The screen resolution and other setting are set to the previous configuration (1920*1080 etc) that worked well with 80 fps and GPU temp near 70C'. 

I have tried to minimize setting even more and it did not help, I will try to replace the cable, but do not think it will help.

Have anybody met the problem that GPU works badly with an external monitor? I understand that it has to transfer data over HDMI, but do not expect it to be that expensive. 

I am using the last drivers and NVidia GeForce experience to optimize settings.

darkdiver
Blue Screen Again
Views: 184
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo y510p GPU overheats with external monitor

Ok, I was able to find a workaround - if I use "Lenovo energy management" app and set the lowest performance that the temperature keeps stable near 70'C and I have 50 fps. 

I would like to solve it differently (for example with precise GPU tools), but right now it is my best solution. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors