06-17-2014

CA

35 Signins

284 Page Views

• Views: 284
  • Message 1 of 42

Lenovo y510p: Win 10 crashed post Geforce installation

2018-05-27, 17:58 PM

The Geforce driver version I'm updating to is 397.93 on my Lenovo y510p laptop.  It houses a soldiered Geforce gt 750m gpu.

I tried this several times.  After post-installation, the OS becomes slightly unresponsive; opening programs execute slower.  Eventually Windows 10 crashed with the blue screen of death claiming its a power state failure.  Even if I do restart the same blue screen of death appears.  There are times when upon rebooting after that blue screen of death another blue screen of death follows up claiming the critical process has died.  Fortunately with some backup I was able to revert to the state prior to installation.

Methods tried so far but didn't work

I've changed advanced power settings under the balanced power plan.  With Wireless Adapter Settings for Power Saving Mode set to Maximum Performance when plugged in, Intel(R) Graphics Settings on its Graphics Power Plan to Maximum Performance when plugged in and PCI Express's Link State Power Management to Off when plugged in.

Furthermore, I've set Nvida's Control Panel to Global setting.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative and/or correct me where I went wrong?

Solved! See the solution
Options

448 Posts

02-01-2018

LB

684 Signins

7840 Page Views

• Views: 7840
  • Message 2 of 42

Re: Win 10 crashed post Geforce installation

2018-05-27, 18:15 PM
man ! just roll back to a previous version and you will be fine !!

you have GT750M and this driver will do nothing new to your GPU

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

126 Posts

09-03-2017

IN

314 Signins

3001 Page Views

• Views: 3001
  • Message 3 of 42

2018-05-28, 7:10 AM

wrote:

The Geforce driver version I'm updating to is 397.93 on my Lenovo y510p laptop.  It houses a soldiered Geforce gt 750m gpu.

I tried this several times.  After post-installation, the OS becomes slightly unresponsive; opening programs execute slower.  Eventually Windows 10 crashed with the blue screen of death claiming its a power state failure.  Even if I do restart the same blue screen of death appears.  There are times when upon rebooting after that blue screen of death another blue screen of death follows up claiming the critical process has died.  Fortunately with some backup I was able to revert to the state prior to installation.

I've changed advanced power settings under the balanced power plan.  With Wireless Adapter Settings for Power Saving Mode set to Maximum Performance when plugged in, Intel(R) Graphics Settings on its Graphics Power Plan to Maximum Performance when plugged in and PCI Express's Link State Power Management to Off when plugged in.

This is happening because you are installing graphics drivers from Nvidia / Geforce Experience. Those are generic drivers/reference drivers. You are not supposed to install them in a laptop. Go to Lenovo support site and install drivers from there as per your serial number. They might be few years old but that is what you have to do. Or ask Lenovo to update driver for your laptop or stick to old drivers. Which should be ok if you are regular user. If you are gamer then you have made mistake in past in buying a laptop. Buy desktop next time. Latest drivers are officially supported by Nvidia on desktops (Unlike laptops where you are dependent on OEM like lenovo for drivers) (Just a small advise from my own experience. No offence to any one)

Options

360 Posts

01-23-2009

FI

654 Signins

6760 Page Views

• Views: 6760
  • Message 4 of 42

2018-05-28, 8:50 AM

wrote:

This is happening because you are installing graphics drivers from Nvidia / Geforce Experience. Those are generic drivers/reference drivers. You are not supposed to install them in a laptop. 

Actually for their gaming systems, Lenovo suggests using drivers from Nvidia directly. Please read the Gaming Knowledge Base article here about keeping systems up to date:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops-Knowledge-Base/Keeping-the-system-up-to-date/ta-p/3675589

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P15 Gen1 | YOGA C630 WOS
Options

126 Posts

09-03-2017

IN

314 Signins

3001 Page Views

• Message 5 of 42

2018-05-28, 9:28 AM

wrote:

wrote:

This is happening because you are installing graphics drivers from Nvidia / Geforce Experience. Those are generic drivers/reference drivers. You are not supposed to install them in a laptop. 

Actually for their gaming systems, Lenovo suggests using drivers from Nvidia directly. Please read the Gaming Knowledge Base article here about keeping systems up to date:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops-Knowledge-Base/Keeping-the-system-up-to-date/ta-p/3675589

No lenardg. Unfortunatly they don't. There is some misscommunication with that post.

Options

126 Posts

09-03-2017

IN

314 Signins

3001 Page Views

• Message 6 of 42

2018-05-28, 11:26 AM

wrote:

If am not wrong this is your laptop right? https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/ideapad-y510p-notebook/downloads?linkTrack=Caps%3ABody_SearchProduct&searchType=3&keyWordSearch=Y510P%2520Laptop%2520%2528ideapad%2529

it seems your laptop does not support windows 10. Without official support problems like this can accure. I suggest you to go back to windows 8.1 or as i suggested before install Nvidia driver from Lenovo support site and see if things work. Let me know

Options

360 Posts

01-23-2009

FI

654 Signins

6760 Page Views

• Views: 6760
  • Message 7 of 42

2018-05-28, 11:39 AM

wrote:

If yes then what are you doing on windows 10? Your laptop does not support windows 10.

Please don't say things like that. Many people have succesfully installed Windows 10 on a Y510p. It is one thing for the manufacturer to say they will not be supporting this scenario officially. It does not mean a computer will not be working with Windows 10. A computer is just a collection of components, and nothing prevents Windows 10 from running on it. I have Windows 10 running on multiple notebooks / tablets that are "not supported".  

The experience might be sub optimal, like battery optimizations missing, etc. But it is still no reason to question why someone is running it on his computer. Assigning blame like that will not help op solve this problem. 

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P15 Gen1 | YOGA C630 WOS
Options

126 Posts

09-03-2017

IN

314 Signins

3001 Page Views

• Message 8 of 42

2018-05-28, 12:09 PM

wrote:

wrote:

If yes then what are you doing on windows 10? Your laptop does not support windows 10.

Please don't say things like that. Many people have succesfully installed Windows 10 on a Y510p. It is one thing for the manufacturer to say they will not be supporting this scenario officially. It does not mean a computer will not be working with Windows 10. A computer is just a collection of components, and nothing prevents Windows 10 from running on it. I have Windows 10 running on multiple notebooks / tablets that are "not supported".  

The experience might be sub optimal, like battery optimizations missing, etc. But it is still no reason to question why someone is running it on his computer. Assigning blame like that will not help op solve this problem. 

I updated my comment.

Options

18 Posts

06-17-2014

CA

35 Signins

284 Page Views

• Views: 284
  • Message 9 of 42

2018-05-28, 12:56 PM

After trying to figure out other alternatives to install the latest driver, I gave up and I've decided to roll back to the previous version.

Options

448 Posts

02-01-2018

LB

684 Signins

7840 Page Views

• Views: 7840
  • Message 10 of 42

2018-05-28, 13:28 PM
good for you .. congrats
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms