Did you mean: 
ssstrong1
Paper Tape
Views: 381
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo y510p problem after thermal paste change

Hello,

I have lenovo y510p GT750SLi , windows 10

i had overheating issues so i changed the laptop thermal paste (using coolermaster gel pro).

there are two problems:

1. one of the GT750 is not working, i have the yellow mark and state this error in widnows device manager:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

2. sound problem: the sound i don't know is dull and not clear with some cracks sometimes.

so any help please

thank you

Merlo
Paper Tape
Views: 355
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo y510p problem after thermal paste change

Hey, 

So before anything I suggest you do some troubleshooting in the device manager. Do this for each of the hardware that you've mentioned. Post the the results here if you please.

Here are my thoughts on what could cause this problem:

• The battery was plugged while you were working on your PC.
  • The paste was used exccessively, so the tiny metal pins next to the CPU/GPU are covered by the paste.
  • You may have unplugged a hardware unintentionally.

Here are the possible solutions:

TIP: Before working on electronics try touching the ground with both hands, or touch any metal connected to the ground. This will prevent electrostatic discharge from your body to the machine.

• In the device manager, after the troubleshooting, disable and re-enable the hardware you mentioned (I'm guessing you've already done this but anyway... Smiley Very Happy). Check if the status of the hardware change, if so, you're in luck.
  • If the battery was plugged during maintenance, it is highly likely that you've caused an electrostatic discharge, which can and will damage electronics. In this case you need to take your PC to a professional and replace the damaged parts (if possible).
  • In case you believe that the paste was used excessively, reopen the case, unplug the battery and proceed to remove the extra paste very carefully, those metal pins are quite sensitive to any type of force. Try cleaning them with a q-tip and remove any residual cutton left by the q-tip (Do not use any type of liquids like solutions, alcohol and etc on the pins.)
  • Once the case is opened look around and make sure everything is connected.

I hope this was somewhat helpful

Good luck Smiley Wink

ssstrong1
Paper Tape
Views: 276
Message 3 of 4

Hello, Thanks For your kind replay.

i did what you told me, i reopened and redid the thermal paste, at the beggining the graphic card still not functionig but after several hours it starts to function properly but the sound problem still.

it's like harsh and noise sound specially the high sounds, the driver is fine and no error there, when i put a headphone the sound is clear and fine.

Merlo
Paper Tape
Views: 265
Message 4 of 4

Glad the graphic card is fine, that was the most important part Smiley Happy

As for the sound issue, what you're describing doesn't seem to be a software-related issue. But it doesn't hurt making sure that it isn't. So try the following solution and see if it works, otherwise it's most probably a hardware issue and you'll need a professional taking a look at it.

• Go to device manager > Sound, video, game controllers..., find any audio devices there, go to the property panel and under "Driver" click "uninstall device".
  • Once this is done, search for the official audio drivers for your notebook model in Lenovo website, install all the drivers related to audio that you can find. Realtek is probably one of them.
  • Afterwards restart your pc and check if the noise is still present.

If the noise is still present then there's no doubt that this is caused by a hardware failure. Be it disonnection from the motherboard, damaged audio chips or anything hardware-related. This needs to be checked by an expert. So don't bother reopening your case and take your pc for repairment.

Be good Smiley Tongue

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors