Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ka17
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,825
Message 1 of 12

Lenovo y570 - Compatible mSATA SSDs?

Hello,

I have the Lenovo Y570 with the 64 GB SSD version. As most of you know the SSD is connected via a Mini PCI-e slot.

Due to the limited size of the SSD, I would like to replace it with a bigger one (about 256 GB), which should also be connected via the Mini PCI-e port.

I was thinking about the Crucial m4 mSATA 256 GB. I contacted the official Crucial support and I was told that this SSD and the Y570 are not fully compatible. So I searched through the internet and it seems like Lenovo has some kind of whitelist which restricts the mSATA port to only a few SSDs. (e.g. the Intel series 310 with 80 GB seems to be working fine.)

So I wondered if anyone can tell me, if there is a such whitelist and what mSATA SSDs are compatible with the Lenovo Y570?

If this question is allowed: If there's such a list, is there a way to surpass it, for example with a new BIOS or a modified BIOS?

(As far as I have heard SSD connected via a normal SATA controller are not restricted, but I don't want to replace the HDD or the optical drive with a 2,5'' SSD when there's a Mini PCI-e port available.)

Chombe79
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,772
Message 2 of 12

Re: Lenovo y570 - Compatible mSATA SSDs?

Hello ka17,

I have Y560p and my laptop has two expanding slots. One is mini PCIe slot and the other is mSATA slot. As you can see in the link below you cannot install mSATA SSDs in mini PCIe slot, only in mSATA slot. That is why Crucial support couldn't give you the green light to install their m4 SSD. It is possible that your BIOS is not going to recognize that drive. Maybe there are some drives that are supported for Y570, but personally I don't think that they are bigger then 80GB, I read somewhere that this is an electrical issue, but it's only what I read online, not the exact statement!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Installing-mSATA-SSD-In-Y560p/ta-p/418343

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers

ka17
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,763
Message 3 of 12

Hello,

Yeah I see what you mean. I've made myself unclear. Actually I was talking about the mSATA slot, I just used the term 'Mini PCIe' slot, because I read that mSATA and the Mini PCIe slots are build in the same way. I think the mSATA port you are talking about is actually a Mini PCI-e port but which is mSATA compatible.

So basically I have a Mini PCI-e slot with the WLAN card connected, I guess, and the mSATA port, where right now I have the Lenovo 64 GB SSD connected.

And I would like to replace the SSD on the mSATA port with the Crucial SSD. They said they tested the drive with my system, so I guess they used the mSATA slot as well, since you can't install the SSD on the other Mini PCI-e port, as you've mentioned.

Thus I guess there must be some restriction concering the mSATA port and some third party mSATA SSDs.

Pozdrav, Chombe79 Smiley Wink
Sfairat
802.11n
Views: 8,751
Message 4 of 12

Well, I'm using my y570 with crucial msata 128gb ssd and everything is fine, so I wonder why did crucial representative tell you that it's incompatible :/

AFAIK there's no whitelist for SSDs, there's only whitelist for wlan cards.

Chombe79
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,732
Message 5 of 12

Hi ka17,

Nice job with that Serbian "Pozdrav"! Smiley Very Happy I still don't think that mSATA and mini PCI-e are the same. Electrically and physicaly they are but there are differences in the wiering so maybe that is the problem?!? Anyway, I think I will get me the 128 version and try it for myself, the only problem is that I can't get it from USA until mid October, we don't have them here... It's a gamble, but if it doesn't work I can always sell it in Serbia. Smiley Happy 

Here's a link to the explanation why they are not the same...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#mSATA 

Prost! Smiley Happy

ka17
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,720
Message 6 of 12

Hmm, I guess, I will just have to try it out. Some people say it will work, some say it probably won't.
I will report my experience. But it will take a couple of weeks since I have exams right now.
rs1959
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,689
Message 7 of 12

I have used OCZ Nocti mSata Ssds in various size capacities in different Lenovo Y series laptops and have never had an issue. 

D4277za
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,577
Message 8 of 12

Hi, any feed back on this yet guys?

Anybody had experience in using a mSATA ssd card in the PCI-E slot of the Y570?

D4277za
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,569
Message 9 of 12

ka17
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,293
Message 10 of 12

Hey guys,

as told I will report my experience.
I replaced the 64GB SSD in the Lenovo with the Crucial mSATA 256GB and what to say? The system is running smoothly without any problems.
Several benchmarks I did report much higher speeds for the Crucial SSD, but actually in every day's use the extra speed is not really to be felt since the 64GB Lenovo SSD was already pretty fast. But for example if you are moving big files from an external USB 3.0. drive to the SSD you'll notice a faster speed than with the built in SSD.
So the Crucial is a good way to go if the internal 64GB SSD is too small for you.
Btw I disabled Lenovo's RapidDrive and I am using the new SSD as the OS and programme drive and the HD as the storage drive.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors