cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomchin23
What's DOS?
Views: 226
Message 1 of 1

Lenovo y580 has long boot time ~ 15 mins to get to the splash screen; and will now no longer boot.

Please help!

The problem occurs when I try to turn on the machine from a cold start up.  Restarting the machine has a normal operation time.  During the time the Laptop is trying to boot and reach the lenovo splashscreen, the power LED stays on and the keyboard backlight remains illuminated.  Toggling the Caps lock key is unresponsive in toggling the caps lock led indicator at this time.  I also tried plugging in an external monitor to see if it that was the issue.

I have tried swapping HDD with no success with another HDD from a lenovo Thinkpad, and from another Lenovo y580.  The HDD from my y580 boots on either machine with no problem.  HDD from either machine into my Y580 did not improve the boot time response.

When the y580 is trying to reach the splash screen, if I plug in the AC adapter, the machine emits one audio beep.

I have tried booting with and without AC adapter and with and without battery input.  All combinations yield long boot times.

Boot times in general can vary from 5 mins to 15 mins.  I downloaded lenovo solution center and ran the hardware scan and there was no issue with the mobo or the graphics card.

Getting to the 'Lenovo' splashscreen takes around 15 mins. Afterwards, Windows 8.1 loads with no problem and the system is very responsive.  Games and applications run smoothly.  My solution was to keep the computer in hibernation mode when not in use.  After my HDD swap experimentation, now my Y580 will not boot.  The Power LED turns on and keyboard backlight illuminate for 15 mins+ then the machine shuts off completely.  

Also, my warranty has expried.  What options do I have?

Mod Comment: Copied/pasted second post, into this first blank posting. Removed dupe.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors