Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wahaj
Paper Tape
Views: 986
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo y580 idle temperatures

I did a quick search on this and didn't come with any satisfacotry answers. So I made an account here to make this thread. Forgive me if this issue has already been discussed.

I wanted to know what idle temperatures other people are experiencing when running their laptop. I fear that my temperatures are way too high. Ambient temperature is around 25 degrees celcius. When idle or running a simple webpage not containing any videos or heavy flash contect my temperatures hover around 50 degrees celcius about 45 without the webpage. The hard drive is around 40 degrees celsius. But when I play a game such as GTA 4 my temperatures hit around 80 degrees. And I play that game on medium setting with the lowest setting on AA (view distance is max though). The temperature has hit a recorded max of 91 degrees which is really worrysome. the hard drive is also above 50 though the gpu stays around 60 and hits a max of 70. These temperatures are when the back of my laptop is elevated about an inch (I put a book underneath it).

The only programs besides my games that are running are the programs that came with the laptop, such as mcAfee. Anyways are these temperatures too high? what are the temperatures you guys experience? Is there a fix for this? My fans are rather silent even when playing games so I can't tell whether they are running at full speed. 

Highlighted
jboom91
Fanfold Paper
Views: 969
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo y580 idle temperatures

Those really don't seem that bad, I've heard a wide range of people with the same laptop give many different temps, with some getting a temp as high as 85. A max of 70 and a hard drive of 50 seems really nice actually, and an idle temp of 45-50 is very normal for most laptops. Also about the fan, I've heard from others that it is very quiet as well, and I think that may be normal.
wahaj
Paper Tape
Views: 927
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo y580 idle temperatures

I contacted Lenovo and it turns out that these temperatures are too high. They said to send it back for repairs as there might be a damaged fan. Just putting it out there if any one else is having the same problem

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors