Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-02-2015

10 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 1 of 4

Lenovo y580 keeps restarting, won't boot

2015-01-02, 6:42 AM
so I went to log in to my laptop (A Lenovo y580 if that matters). I went to wake it from sleep and it seemed like it was acting a little funky. By that I mean that it wouldn't load the internet, alot of my mouse-clicks were not registering either. I couldn't bring it to the windows menu so I forced a restart. I spent forever on the loading screen and am getting a message that the PC cannot load, and that it was going to collect data, and it resets itself again. Same thing. Except this time my screen says its Preparing Automatic Repair. I then go to a screen asking my keyboard layout. Then to a screen where I can troubleshoot or shut down. On troubleshoot I have options to refresh PC, Reset PC, or Advanced options. The Refresh screen states that the drive where windows in installed is locked, and to unlock the drive and try again. I don't want to reset yet because I'll lose all my files. I go to advanced options, which has the option to system restore, but then get an error message that says "To use system restore you must specify which windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore." Next I select System Image Recovery, which states "An internal error occurred. The following information might resolve your error: The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002). Next I select Startup Repair, which attempts to Diagnose my PC but then states it could not repair my PC and dumps me back to options. My final two options are to open a command prompt or to access UEFI Firmware settings, but I don't know what either of those do. Anyone have any suggestions?
Options

30 Posts

02-08-2014

Italy

115 Signins

952 Page Views

• Views: 952
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo y580 keeps restarting, won't boot

2015-01-02, 11:35 AM

Hello, try to use in the cmd mode the command "sfc /scannow" and the command "chkdsk C: /f /r".. If doesn't resolve the problem you have to restore the OS.

Options

3 Posts

01-02-2015

10 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2015-01-02, 12:09 PM

Thank you for the reply!

I ran the "sfc/scannow" and it did find a problem, which required me to reboot, which I'm in the process of doing now so that I can run "sfc/scannow" again.

I tried to run "chkdsk C: /f /r" but it does not recognize the /r command I don't think.

I did try just doing "chkdsk" alone, which revealed that it found problems. But when I tried to run "chkdsk /F" as it suggested, I got the message "The type of the file system is NTFS, Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected".

It looks like upon rebooting I'm still in the same boat.  When I re-run the "sfc/scannnow" it states again that it found corrupt files and repaired them.  It states again that the system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.

Options

30 Posts

02-08-2014

Italy

115 Signins

952 Page Views

• Views: 952
  • Message 4 of 4

2015-01-02, 13:33 PM

You have to run the two command with the administrator mode, you find it in the restore option near normal cmd mode... After try again the chkdsk

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms