Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

02-01-2014

Poland

4 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo y580 randomly freezing

2014-02-01, 0:57 AM

Hello

I am an owner of lenovo y580 about a half a year now and recently i started to have a problem with it. The laptop freezes every few minutes on almost everything i do, for example when i use my browser it randomly freezes for about 5-10 sec (no response) while still can do other things like activating process manager and other things. The thing changes once i start playing games, when almost every new action taken in the game causes it to freeze or even crash the game after few minutes of playing. Same thing happens while watching video on youtube or watching any videos on media player, the browser/media player freezes for about 5-10 sec while the sound still goes on and then jumps to the scene after these 10 sec. To the recent events, i had no problems with this laptop, everything started after one windows 8 update which caused my library files to delete everything from it, from that time the random freezes started, at first it was only browser related but then started freezing on every program i used. I really have no idea what can cause this kind of problems. I would appreciate any help or solutions on this problem. Thank you in advance (Sorry for my english im not a native speaker ^^')

Options

792 Posts

07-25-2013

Australia

678 Signins

9430 Page Views

• Views: 9430
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo y580 randomly freezing

2014-02-01, 9:55 AM

I don't know what might be the problem, but I have few ideas of what you could do to pinpoint what is wrong:

1. In Nvidia control panel turn ->Desktop -> turn on " display GPU activity icon in notification area". If your computer starts acting up when your GPU is active (obviously it is in games), then it might mean your dedicated GPU is faulty. Alternatively you could turn it off in BIOS and see the problem is still present.

2. Run memtest86 to check for possible problems with RAM.

3. Leave task manager open all the time. Whenever your computer is starting to act up check if there's any process that's eating up all CPU, or any other suspicious activity.

4. Try listening closely to your computer. Are there any strange clicks or hard drive spinning up when it freezes?

5. Did you try making a recovery to a state from before Windows installed that update?

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms