11 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo y700 keyboard started showing wrong symbols/actions

2018-07-17, 18:44 PM

Hi,

I have Lenovo y700-15isk, Win 10.

The problem: Suddenly the keyboard began behaving weird. Some keys perform different actions than expected.

For example, when I press 5 from Num pad, it shows 5 but also activates "options" key (between right Ctr and right Alt).

When i hit - (minus from Num pad) it opens Start menu. Strangely, the Win key does not work and does not open Start menu and sometimes instead shows a minus (-).

When i hit + from Num pad, the cursor immeadiately goes to the top of the page and then adds the + symbol.
When i press 2 from Numpad the cursor goes to the bottom of the page and then adds 2.

It is as if the NumLock is on and off at the same time making the keys perform double action.

In short, the problem seems to be in the Num pad keys (with the Win key exception).

I tried changing languages, layouts, safe mode, holding power key for 10 seconds, restarting... nothing changed.

Please, guys, this is very frustrating, can you help me with this? Anyone had something like this?

Options

10857 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

6914 Signins

735779 Page Views

• Views: 735779
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo y700 keyboard started showing wrong symbols/actions

2018-07-18, 15:11 PM

Hi Alex_13,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Try another keyboard and check if an external USB keyboard work ok.

This would help us isolate if the issue is hardware related.

You can also try booting the machine on a rescue media and bserve how the keys behave. On a different boot media , we expect that basic drivers are running so like safe mode if same key issue happens then it probably is a hardware issue so having it called in tech support or taking to the service center would help.

Update us how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3 Posts

06-28-2018

BG

11 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-07-18, 18:07 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the answer. I will try external keyboard soon. However, i have noticed that the issue is sporadic. The keybboard behaves normally, then at some point the problem starts, then disappears.

I remember now, that I had cleaned the underside of some buttons from dust the day before, but after that everything was fine. The problem began later, so I don't believe this could have damaged the keyboard.

I have also noticed that the problem is around the following pairs of buttons: 

Pg down – 2
Options – 5
Start – -
Page up – +

Every time i press one of these, the system behaves as if the other button from the pair is pressed as well. The rest of the buttons seem to be OK.

From your post I understand you consider it to likely be a hardware issue. I ran a full hardware scan via Lenovo Vantage software and all was fine (though I'm not sure weather the keyboard is even tested...). But if it is a hardware issue, do you have any guesses as to what may be causing it?

Thanks again, I will write once I've tried external keyboard.

P.S. I am not sure wether it is helpful, but I also have a problem with the CPU throttling, which i described in another post HERE in the forum. I don't suppose these can be correlated, but still good to know.

Options

10857 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

6914 Signins

735779 Page Views

• Views: 735779
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-07-18, 20:22 PM

Hi Alex_13,

Greetings.

The more that it is localized the then more that I would suspect mechanical issue. 

Soon as you can have an external usb keyboard to test, we would be able to isolate it from any throttle issue or any other since it would suppose to happen also with another keyboard. But if the external keyboard works ok then perhaps you need to re check/ clean the keys again else to have it replace if needed.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete