Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkrty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 363
Message 1 of 6

Linux mint 18 and Win 10 on separate drives

Y500 dual 650m 16gb ram, installed Linux Mint 18 on second hard drive and have Windows 10 on the original 1tb drive. I was able to swap the drives and boot without issue. After upgrading to Win 10 anniversary update swapping in the linux drive caused a boot error and after getting it to boot then swapping in the windows drive it would not boot at all. Tried disabling secure boot and uefi, legacy boot, nothing worked. Completely wiped the 1tb drive and installed Win 10 again from scratch. Secure boot enabled and uefi on. Swapped out for the linux drive and again no boot. Went in to bios and disabled secure boot and enable legacy boot mode-still no boot. Turned on UEFI boot mode but still no secure boot and linux drive boots fine. I have read that it should be possible to add the security code whatever to the firmware so it can boot in secure mode but nobody explains how that can be done. BIOS flash to add code? 

Guru
Views: 344
Message 2 of 6

Re: Linux mint 18 and Win 10 on separate drives

To be honest you confused me a bit. There is an option in bios, something like "clear intel keys" did you try that? I think it is in the same menu with secure boot

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

jkrty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 340
Message 3 of 6

yes I did try that trying to get the other installs to boot. It's confusing to me too. Don't understand how I can disable secure boot in the security tab in bios but then in bios go to boot tab and have to enable uefi boot mode in stead of legacy mode. I was thinking no secure boot meant legacy. Maybe it's something I did during install of Linux mint, a menu choice or something regarding boot mode...

Guru
Views: 338
Message 4 of 6

Secure boot is an extra of UEFI
You can have
UEFI
UEFI + SECURE BOOT
LEGACY

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

jkrty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 333
Message 5 of 6

I see, knew nothing about this stuff until this past couple of weeks when this issue popped up. I know what to set when I reinstall the windows drive so I should be OK. Not sure what happened to the original windows install and why it would not boot. Maybe because I cleared the keys on the security tab but I was having problems before that. It just wanted to start recovery then would fail.

Guru
Views: 331
Message 6 of 6

I think their one more option
UEFI, legacy first

Btw i thought only ubuntu supported secure boot

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors