Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wrath87
Not applicable
Views: 4,098
Message 1 of 5

Loose PowerJack IdeaPad Y510p SLI

Hey There,

Dropped in to get some thoughts from you guys. I bought my Y510p SLI in 2014 with 3 years of warranty and last week I noticed that even tho I plug in the adapter, sometimes it drains the battery and shows that no adapter is attached. After some "investigation" to the issue I found that the PowerJack connector is loosened a bit. Since I have a whole year of warranty I thought I'd send it in and they could repair it. Well that was the plan anyway because it doesn't go that smooth and I'm actually starting to think; heck I'll change it myself void my warranty but it takes ~15minutes.... My worries: What if it's still not the PowerJack? Back a little, why am I thinking changing it myself and voiding 1year of warranty? Quite simple: the service representative won't get in touch with me, they won't answer my emails, there's no phone number so you can't call them, and the service has numerous unhappy customers who wait for their devices to be repaired for months. I have no such long time because I'm working from this notebook 5 business days is the absolute maximum, so considering a repair that takes 15 minutes for myself (not an in disassemblying notebooks but compared to MSI this notebook is kid's toy) I plan not to wait weeks for a lazy professional. Now, a brand new PowerJack for y510p goes for $17 on amazon, + 2-3weeks for shipping + 15 minutes of assembly IF it's just the connector and not something more serious like broken plastic for the screw holding it in place or faulty controller of the mobo in which case I voided the warranty and have a nice 3.5Kgs of weight. Any of you had similar problems with this model?

Cheers and thanks for your tips!

Majestic
Not applicable
Views: 4,082
Message 2 of 5

Re: Loose PowerJack IdeaPad Y510p SLI

Since the DC-In power jack is loose, it is mostly likely the cause of your problem.  Chances are the power jack itself is broken which is not an uncommon problem.  Since the power jack assembly is separate from the motherboard the problem is isolated from the motherboard, although that doesn't rule out broken screw mounts as you mentioned.   Page #63 of your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual shows the location of the power jack (assembly) in question.  Here is a link to that manual for your reference if you do not have it already.....

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y410p_y510p_hmm.pdf

As for voiding the warranty, I will leave that decision up to you.  I suspect that if the power assembly or the power assembly mounts are broken the repair wouldn't be covered by warranty anyways unless you had the accidental damage coverage as well. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

rockykoston
Not applicable
Views: 4,074
Message 3 of 5

You can always try the repair yourself. Be careful as not to leave any visible marks on the back cover or inside the laptop and your warranty might still be intact. There is no seal as such to be broken.

I have attempted to change my keyboard since it just stopped working one day and it went well. Took me about 20 minutes.

As already mentioned, since the jack is loose I dont see any other part being the problem. Though there is always a minor possibility just like with my keyboard, it could have been the connectors, but thankfully it wasnt.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Wrath87
Not applicable
Views: 4,054
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the tip guys! I gave the service station enough time (2weeks) and they didn't even look at the ticket I opened them. They should have called to arrange an appropriate time to take the laptop but they failed at that too. Since I work from this laptop I could send it in for at most 5 days, but considering their incompetence at even taking it I disassembled it myself and made the correction in less than 15minutes. I'll share you the problem as it might help other with similar problem:

If you look at the outer plastic layer at the DC power connector, there is a small ring made of possibly some kind of rubber(?). In my case this rubber dissolved half of it leaving the connector space to move around. This part kept the connector in fixed position leaving no place to move it. Now since the connector was able to move freely, and there's a sinble tiny screw keeping the powerjack in place; because of that tiny moves the screw loosened up, then it allowed the connector to move more and loosened the screw even more. You can guess the result. The connector failed to establish a nice and smooth connection to the powerjack leaving me with the formentioned problem. I tightened the screw and all works fine.

To tighten this screw, however I lost the totally pointless warranty (yes it is pointless in my country - Hungary - because you simply can't do anything with this service station Lenovo has association with. Anyway back to the point, The service manual is a perfect way to disassembly this beat, but you don't really have to take the mobo out. Just take the top plastic cover down (There's a screw under the lenovo sticker which makes you loose your warranty) and you have access to the powerJack. I used a multimeter to check whether cables are fine and yeah tightened a single screw. The only thing left to do is to get a harder plastic ring to substitute the melted one so it'd keep the connector intact.

Majestic
Not applicable
Views: 4,049
Message 5 of 5

You're welcome.  Glad to hear you have resolve the problem.

Depending on how much free space there is have you considered getting a small rubber O ring and placing it over the connector?  A local store that sell plumbing parts might have the smaller sizes.  Otherwise I would just check out eBay in your country and see if they offer replacement DC-In power jacks for your model.  That way you will have a new power jack on hand in case the problem returns. 

As for the loss of warranty, there is no hard rule for voiding it.  The decision as to whether or not your actions violated the warranty depends on the service center.  In the event you later encounter a warranty related problem I would just explain why the laptop was opened and what actions were taken.  A good tech will be able to see what items were handled inside. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors