Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
feliperm
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,699
Message 1 of 8

Loose frame (IdeaPad Y430)

IdeaPad owners, have you noticed if the frame around your LCD display is loose? I just noticed this on mine today. If you tap the black frame on the right, left, and top sides, you can clearly notice that the frame is not totally glued to the computer. But what really caught my attention was the fact that the bottom part can actually be pulled with a fingernail allowing you to see an internal piece of metal. Shouldn't the frame be firmly attached on all sides? And with this bottom plastic part so loose, can it bring complications down the road? Is this something warranty would cover, and if so, is it worth having them fix it?
TobySLN
Punch Card
Views: 1,672
Message 2 of 8

Re: Loose frame (IdeaPad Y430)

This is probably just a random manufactures defect. You should call support, or do an online chat with them from here. If it is a defect then the warrenty will cover it, for free.
Ideapad Y530, P8400 @ 2.26 GHz 320 gb HDD, 4 gb RAM, nVidea 9500M 512mb VRAM.
mabolafya
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,585
Message 3 of 8

Hi, 

I have Y530 and recently ı realıse my frame loose too. How did you solve this?Can you give me an advice?

Thank you! 

feliperm
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,565
Message 4 of 8

If you think your machine has a defect and you're still covered under warranty, you can simply call 1877-4LENOVO, explain to them what is wrong with your machine and Lenovo will send you a FedEx box within a week so that you can send them your machine. Once your machine is with them, it usually takes them a week or so to fix it and send it back to you. Hope this helps!
mabolafya
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,557
Message 5 of 8

Firstly thanks for your advice!

Did you solve your problem with that way? I dont know if it is a defect. At the right side of the frame a bit loose  and it lets light through it. I know laptops generally does that but it seems too early for a new laptop! I cannot belive lenovo's production could be this much cheap  quality. And ı also have a few pixel that are shiner then others. 

My machine if bought from US but I am leaving in Turkey. Do you think they help me?

Thank  you again for your attention. 

feliperm
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,549
Message 6 of 8

I will have to disagree. Lenovo is known for making high quality products with long durability. Your problem might not even be a problem afterall; only you can tell whether it's a defect or not. As for my problem, I just recently called them so I haven't even sent my ideapad to them yet. I will update this post once I get it back. The dead pixel problem is very common. Manafuctures usually have a set amount of dead pixels that they can ship an LCD screen with. I have a Samsung LCD monitor and it came with 1 dead pixel; I was very upset but there was nothing I could do. Also, I believe Lenovo has technical support all over the world. Try going to the website and finding out which number you should call.

feliperm
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,345
Message 7 of 8

Update: I sent my Ideapad to Lenovo and received it back 6 days later. I had described the problem (loose frame) over the phone and so when I shipped the laptop, I simply placed it inside the box without any notes to the technician. When I received my laptop back, the receipt from the technician who fixed my laptop said that the "hinge issue" had been fixed and that the computer passed all tests. Note, however, that when I spoke with Lenovo support over the phone, I NEVER mentioned a hinge problem because there wasn't any.

So, the bottom part of the screen is still loose (original problem) and now when I close the lid, the screen does not touch the rest of the laptop evenly (new problems). I am going to post a few pictures here so you can see the new problem.

My advice to you is that unless you really can't stand the problem, don't send your laptop or the same thing might happen to you. However, if you do decide to send it in, put a note clearly describing what your problem is; don't trust the phone technical support to detail your problem correctly.

Moderator Note; Pictures >50K deleted from post. Forum Rules

Message Edited by andyP on 06-03-2009 08:58 PM
feliperm
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,315
Message 8 of 8

My previous post got edited because the images were too big. Reposting the pictures, now with less than 50K:

After "hinge fix":

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1034504/DSC00034.JPG

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1034504/DSC00035.JPG

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1034504/DSC00036.JPG

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1034504/DSC00037.JPG

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1034504/DSC00038.JPG

Note from Moderator:  With multiple images, let's keep it to links, please, so that the forum doesn't bog down.

Message Edited by JaneL on 06-03-2009 11:17 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors