Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArthurMajin
Paper Tape
Views: 1,092
Message 1 of 4

Lower Performance. Ideapad Y510P

Hi to everyone. I have brought my Lenovo Ideapad Y510P since september last year and for a while I couldn't be more satisfied.However, After like 2 months of use, I started noticing some temporary and repetitive performance drop in some games.  Listed below are the problems I noticed :

1) All the games start fine, at for example 60 FPS, but then after like 10 or less minutes of gaming, the FPS drop to like 15- 20. It stays that way for like 2-6 mins and then comes back to normal. process which repeats itself several times.  It has been really anoying specially since I started playing heavy games like Farcry 3, Titanfall and Batlefield 3, all multiplayer.  Instead of playing at 1080P, i reduced and started to play at 1366 x 768 to get more performance, but still the problem continues whether using SLI or not.

2) My model didnt come with a SSD so, for storage upgrade I went for an 1 TB 7200 rpm drive instead of the factory 5400 rpm drive. is a SSHD a good option for this one? I don't want to go for an SSD because of the cost, and also cause since I am only allowed to have one HD, I dont intent on sacrficing too much space. cause I have a lot of stuff in it and only 500 GB's ( which is the max for an SSD that i could afford after a loooong saving ) wouldnt be enough.

For last, would a upgrade to 16 GB RAM from Croshair bring me considerably performance increases ?

I and not really an expert on hardware so, i  dont really know what to do for now. PLs help me!

Guru
Views: 1,057
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lower Performance. Ideapad Y510P

Hi, since your system is already pretty fast I dont believe that getting a Hybrid drive or increasing the RAM will upgrade your performance significantly in gaming.

When you are playing the game, Is your laptop plugged into power?

If it is plugged in, when the frame rates drop, Could you ALT+TAB and check if the laptop is running on battery?

I also believe you have SLI enabled. Since you have had the laptop for a long time, I am not sure if you checked your Adapter Output power. It should be 170W to supply proper power for the SLI mode.

Power = Current * Voltage

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
ArthurMajin
Paper Tape
Views: 1,035
Message 3 of 4

Yeah, when it happens the system recognizes that I am connected to power.  And I always play plugged into power. Also, the Adapter output power is 170 W.  When i switched from the slower HD to the faster HD, this stopped for a while and I thought that maybe it was too much background process. But after like 1 week the problem returned and there was still very few softwares installed. 

Guru
Views: 1,030
Message 4 of 4

I would suggest if you can use a CPU usage monitor while playing the games. Also, what is ur memory usage. You can use some tools to record that information while playing games.

You can go through this guide to check all stats while gaming.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1229915/how-to-cpu-and-gpu-usage-along-with-fps-in-game

Do let me know do u see a drastic change in memory usage while playing game?

It looks like your CPU is throttling resulting in sudden loss of frame rates. It happens due to faulty power supply or excessive heat.

Can u also try taking out SLI and gaming normal? Check ur temperatures also .
---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors