Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
worthly
Punch Card
Views: 1,678
Message 1 of 11

Major issue with Lenovo Y430

Hi guys, I'm new around here Smiley Happy

alright, here's my problem, I've been using Lenovo Y430 for the past 5 months going on 6. Everything had been fine till a few days ago when I got attacked by a virus which destroyed all my .exe files. No anti virus seems to be able to do their job by removing the deadly virus. I then try my luck with the One-Key recovery system, it doesn't help either. So I thought it's okay, I will just bring the laptop down to Lenovo's service center and ask them for help to re-install my Operating System ( Windows Vista Home Premium). However, when I got there, I was told by a staff that I've to pay SGD $60 to get my laptop repaired even though the laptop was under warrantly. I'm a student and hence can't afford to fork up such an amount, so i declined his offer and choose to do it myself instead.

So, i borrowed a Vista disc from my friend and installed it successfully, however, then I realized that the OS ain't working as before and wish to get rid of it.

My laptop still has the old vista on it, meaning it has two OS currently.

So, can anyone guide me on how do I remove the new vista?

Thanks alot in advance!

Regards

Ishbar
Punch Card
Views: 1,663
Message 2 of 11

Re: Major issue with Lenovo Y430

It's going to cost you money because you're at fault.

Warrantys cover issues with THEIR hardware & SOME software issues. 

Issues that stem from malfunctions or manufacturers defects...therefore they are NOT liable for misuse of said hardware or software.

You getting a virus is your burden to bare and yours alone.

Pay up the money because the more and more time you spend trying to fix this yourself, the more you seem to begin to jeapordize the machine ever turning on again.

I used to fix these and I too am a College student, trust me - if you knew what you were doing you'd have it done by now.

$60 Bucks is a small price to pay for someone else to fix your problem.

ALTERNATIVELY you can ask around for some strapped for cash students at your school to help. Chances are if you throw them $20-$30 they will hook you up and just reinstall your OS (with the drivers) for you.

Best of luck.

Try not to go on naughty websites / click obviously fake popups / download suspicious software from now on Smiley Wink

worthly
Punch Card
Views: 1,657
Message 3 of 11

If I can well afford, I would have paid lenovo's staffs to do it for me. Obviously I cant and so have to do it myself.

Can anyone direct me on how to format the C drive?

Ishbar
Punch Card
Views: 1,636
Message 4 of 11

Bro, you put the vista disk in and it will prompt you to alter any partitions or format extra drves. Learn to goole.
worthly
Punch Card
Views: 1,634
Message 5 of 11

This is the new issue, after i successfully installed a new Vista into the com, I'm unable to load the vista disc anymore.

I dont know why, I can't seem to boot it from the boot menu nor in the windows.

?_? Man Sad

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,615
Message 6 of 11

can't you just call up Lenovo and tell them that your one key recovery partition is damaged by virus, and ask them to send you the disks to you for free?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
worthly
Punch Card
Views: 1,613
Message 7 of 11

How would I know i can do that? That's why I'm asking around here? Obviously I thought -.-

And if you think that the service center of Lenovo here in Singapore provides wonderful service to consumer, you're very wrong.

Not exactly Lenovo's "Service Center", it's rather an external agency Lenovo engaged to be put in-charge for the repairs of laptops, if I'm not wrong.

Views: 1,608
Message 8 of 11

you can still call them and order the disks. Regarding service centers, they are probably third party and lenovo just contract them for repairs. In Australia we just call Lenovo service, and they will courier the laptop in overnight express to the depot and back once it is fixed, there is no service centers.

But every country is different. While, Lenovo don't provide software services, you can still ask for the disks, since you can't create them like you can (AFAIK) like in the Thinkpads, they will usually overnight express it to your resident.

next time with viruses (you probably download too much torrent files or files from unknown website), make sure you install spybot (free download) and Avast Home (free anti-virus, but it is extremely good better than many paid versions). 

Regards,

Jin Li

worthly
Punch Card
Views: 1,606
Message 9 of 11

Win32 Virut is the name of the Virus I encountered, I've tried with almost all anti-virus software, kaspersky, avg, avast, norton, nod32. NONE work. I've tried the One key recovery software, NO help again.

Views: 1,604
Message 10 of 11

as i have said you should call Lenovo service in singapore and ask them to send you the disks so that you can restore the recovery partition. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors