Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bioaz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,231
Message 1 of 21

Max Memory Support...

Hi people,

I've been reading the specification features of Intel GM45 Express Chipset (from Intel itself). There's an information about memory supporting.  They say 8Gb maximum memory support. Please, tell me how could it be?  Could My Y530 SEE and WORK with 8Gb of memory?

Best regards from Brazil.

System Memory

• Supports DDR2 and DDR3 SDRAM

• Support for DDR2 at 667 MHz and 800 MHz

• Support for DDR3 at 667, 800 and 1066 MHz

• One SO-DIMM connector (or memory module) per channel

• Two Memory Channel Configurations supported

— Dual-channel Symmetric (with Interleaved access)

— Dual-channel Asymmetric (with or without Intel® Flex Memory Technology)

• 8-GB maximum memory support

• 64-bit wide per channel

• 256-Mb, 512-Mb, 1-Gb, and 2-Gb memory technologies supported

• Support for x8 and x16 DDR2 and DDR3 devices

• Support for DDR2/DDR3 On-Die Termination (ODT)

• Supports partial writes to memory using data mask signals (DM)

• No support for Fast Chip Select mode

• No support for ECC

• No support for 1N operation

Retired Guru
Views: 2,222
Message 2 of 21

Re: Max Memory Support...

If you can afford two 4GB memory modules and use a 64-bit Windows, then go for it. It is fully supported according to Intel. It would be quite valuable for someone running intensive OS virtualization. The only problem I see here is that your Y530 doesn't have VT enabled.

It shouldn't be long before 4GB is low end and 8GB or 16GB is high end. That's the only problem with technology. You dish out $2000/$3000/$4000 for the best hardware and in one year it's quite affordable on nearly every budget. Also, you are essentially still testing the hardware. Any fundamental flaws are fixed and the hardware is revised.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
dtorrevillas
Paper Tape
Views: 2,189
Message 3 of 21

Dear Gentlemen,

In the same way I have an IdeaPad Y510 model 15303.  I upgraded the memory from 2 gig to 4 gig.  Im using a Windows XP Pro OS.  The computer can only detect 3 gig of the memory I replaced. Why is that?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,184
Message 4 of 21

The 32 bit XP Pro can only use 3 gig of ram, if you get 64 bit XP pro or Vista, then you can use the full 4 gig of ram. 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
bioaz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,174
Message 5 of 21

Dear Ortegaluis,

Thanks for your answer, and also the other ones...

You've said that "It would be quite valuable for someone running intensive OS virtualization. The only problem I see here is that your Y530 doesn't have VT enabled".  What OS virtualization means? Could I manage that and enable?

Best regards.

Retired Guru
Views: 2,167
Message 6 of 21

bioaz wrote:

Dear Ortegaluis,

Thanks for your answer, and also the other ones...

You've said that "It would be quite valuable for someone running intensive OS virtualization. The only problem I see here is that your Y530 doesn't have VT enabled".  What OS virtualization means? Could I manage that and enable?

Best regards.

OS virtualization is when you run an operating system [i.e. Windows, Linux, Mac OSX] within a virtualized environment, called a guest environment. This environment can be created with Virtual PC, VMware, VirtualBox, and plenty of others. The hardware is simulated to allow the virtualized environment to function as a guest within the host [your Y530]. With 8GB or more, you can allocate more RAM to that virtualized environment. Read more.

VT [Intel VT] is a hardware virtualization technology developed by Intel for use with a computer with BIOS, processor, and chipset that supports it. It is used to provide better performance for the virtualized OS. It also allows you to run a 64-bit guest in a virtualized environment. However, the BIOS doesn't have an option for enabling VT [for a processor that supports this feature] but you still can use a virtualized environment.

Virtualization is useful when you have Windows, but you have to run programs only available for a Mac. Or want to try other operating systems and don't want to damage your current Windows installation. It can also be used for testing and developing software for different operating systems.

Read more.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
lenovoraja
Paper Tape
Views: 2,990
Message 7 of 21

Y530-IdeaPad- RAM Upgrade

IS it possible to upgrade the RAM to 8 GB, currently it is at 4 GB???? IS it possible for the Ideapad Y530
Retired Guru
Views: 2,977
Message 8 of 21

Re: Y530-IdeaPad- RAM Upgrade

Edit:

It's only possible to upgrade to 4GB. I re-read the specifications for GM45 and PM45 chipsets. It states that it supports a maximum of 8GB memory. However, it also states that it supports a maximum of 2GB per SODIMM slot. You would need 4 memory slots in order to use 8GB of memory.

Message Edited by ortegaluis on 04-08-2009 07:19 AM

Retired Guru
Views: 2,933
Message 9 of 21

Desktop P45 chipset really supports 8 GB by two slots. Mobile P45 and G45 shipsets support 2GB modules of RAM maximum as far as I know. This results 2+2 GB of RAM available in Y530.

//help will save the world
Retired Guru
Views: 2,926
Message 10 of 21

skripatch - It seems that we are both right. PM45 and GM45 does support 8GB total memory, but it supports maximum of 2GB modules. You would need 4 SODIMM slots in order to use 8GB.

*I was incorrect in saying that you can use 4GB modules.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors