Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Erik963
Paper Tape
Views: 1,979
Message 1 of 8

Maximum Upgrade

Hi people. I have lenovo Y550 with 4gb ram itntel mobile core 2 duo P7550 2.26ghz, 4GB ram nvidia gforce gt 240M and LENOVO KIWB1 (U2E1) mother board.

What is best processor, max ram and best graphic card i can upgrade ?

Thank you

velenoso666
802.11n
Views: 1,967
Message 2 of 8

Re: Maximum Upgrade

To upgrade to what you ask is impossible, because you won't be able to upgrade the graphic card and even if you could, it would cost more than the laptop is worth.

Erik963
Paper Tape
Views: 1,963
Message 3 of 8

Why cant i upgrade GPU ? GPU is upgradable and most of the sites provide tutorials how. Take an example of this site http://www.pcworld.com/article/148909/upgrading_your_laptops_graphics_card.html

Also. I maybe  cant upgrade GPU but can i upgrade processor to quad core ?

velenoso666
802.11n
Views: 1,958
Message 4 of 8

I don't believe your laptop can have a gpu upgrade seeing it's most probably soldered, if you can put a quad core in your laptop how much do you think you could buy one for?

Parts and labour would run you close to $300 or $400 and you be still stuck with that very average GPU, if you sold the Y550 got say $450 (which won't be easy) add the $300 or $400 you could get a better laptop with a much better GPU.  You could buy this Laptop

Erik963
Paper Tape
Views: 1,946
Message 5 of 8

When i clicked on link i almoust killed myself. I bought this average laptop year ago it was 1000€ now when i saw this laptopt that is 10x times better than mine and cost only 500€  or less. I see what i can do.

I rather wait year and stick with this pc then i build myself some high end PC for 1000€

velenoso666
802.11n
Views: 1,951
Message 6 of 8

I'm sorry it cost you money to learn the hard way, but all of us were in the same place once. It cost me enough money to understand that computers are a bad investment and if you want to own a good computer for less don't buy at shop prices or you'll be always loosing big money. If you want some tips on saving on computers/laptops, try to buy a second hand one a few months old if you can't get a new one on the cheap like I did this time, you'll usually save 30 - 40% and don't own them for too long. If I can upgrade my laptop every year by selling mine and throwing in around $300 or more to get a better GPU and CPU, I think I'm doing good. Seeing it cost to buy a new CPU and GPU for a desktop at least + $100 and I'm still stuck with an old computer with a couple of new parts.

Erik963
Paper Tape
Views: 1,917
Message 7 of 8

You dont have to be sorry. I am Glad you helped. 

Also as i said. I think best way to save money and have up to date GPU and CPU is by building yourself gaming desktop. 

Actually i just counted the price of 2 gtx 580 and Intel core I7 2600k + 8gb ram and price is around 1050€. That is relatively cheap compared to my laptop that can barely run new games on high settings.

velenoso666
802.11n
Views: 1,897
Message 8 of 8

@Erik963 wrote:

You dont have to be sorry. I am Glad you helped. 

Also as i said. I think best way to save money and have up to date GPU and CPU is by building yourself gaming desktop. 

Actually i just counted the price of 2 gtx 580 and Intel core I7 2600k + 8gb ram and price is around 1050 That is relatively cheap compared to my laptop that can barely run new games on high settings.

Yes for gaming building a computer is best, but for having a computer I believe their days are numbered. I believe having a laptop is better all round, you could buy a Laptop which is 730 €. (this guy might ship to UK if you ask the net is good for buy good oversea just pay with paypal) and still play games at a competitive level. And you could take your laptop to the office, school, uni or a girl friend place and so on and play, where as with a desktop you're stuck there and you still having priced many other parts for your desktop. You'd need a powerful power supply 350€ screen keyboard and mouse cooling system....... It cost serious coin to game at the top level and unless you play competition where you could win money, it's really just playing games, anyway good luck if whatever you do.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors