Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jp381242
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,364
Message 1 of 12

Merging SSD and Hard Drive Windows 8 Rapid Drive Y580

OK I have finally gotten Windows 8 installed on the SSD. BUT I can not get the SSD and the primary hard drive to again merge. Nothing I do seems to work. Anyone having the same issue? I have the primary hard drive unallocated (unformatted) and the SSD drive holds Windows 8.

Thanks

valc93
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,331
Message 2 of 12

Re: Merging SSD and Hard Drive Windows 8 Rapid Drive Y580

jp381242
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,320
Message 3 of 12

Thanks but nothing new. I feel that I have done everything right but for some reason the drives just wont merge. Ehh

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,308
Message 4 of 12

Hi and welcome to the community
Please refer to this document
http://78.9.150.202/pub/RapidDrive.pdf
It says(last page) that sometimes we need to do a factory reset to make it work because of some system errors.
Good luck
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
ulasbarıs
Serial Port
Views: 7,297
Message 5 of 12

Hello I have lenovo y570. i didn't upgrade windows 7 to windows 8 because rapiddriver didn't allow it .Than I established new windows 7 in ssd after upgrade  windows 8 i(32 ssd, warning need windows 8 20 gb i comprise my windows 7, change pagefile size )   

Everything was good than i install rapiddrive and it worked but When i install lenovo power energy,  after restart windows 8 crashed, i can't repair it 

Any is there solution for it?

kbz1960
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,684
Message 6 of 12

Energy management causes issues with win8 for me also. I just uninstalled it, win has management anyway.

kbz1960
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,681
Message 7 of 12

Also the link for the rapid drive is dead and in drivers is only for xp. Any update on this?
y580win8user
Paper Tape
Views: 5,974
Message 8 of 12

@jp381242

If you have your OS installed on your SSD, you wouldn't want to merge your SSD into your HDD... it would just slow things down!

Rapid drive's purpose is to speed up a normal spinning HDD.  Rapid drive only works with smaller size SSD's.  If you have an SSD large enough to manage an OS, just leave it as be!

As for "Unmerging" the factory installed 16GB + 1TB systems with Windows 8, Lenovo cannot tell you how to do this yet.  The RapidDriveTool that keeps being linked on all of these message boards is for Windows 7 ONLY!!!  I have brought this to Lenovo's attention but they refuse to recognize their error.

My Y580 arrived on Monday... I removed the 16GB card and replaced with a 256GB mSATA.  I clean installed Win 8 and all was going well.  Until I tried to do a full backup using OneKey.  Doesn't work.  The video display key switch button/doesn't work.

I can't get YouCam, PowerDVD10, Power2Go or any other software from Lenovo either.  They want $59 for the recovery disks (which I've read don't even exist yet) and they wanted to sell me an $89/year service package to get answers that don't exist yet.  I just spent a few hours on the phone with them today...... if you can't tell.

So here's my plan.  I'm going to reinstall the 16GB card and use OneKey to restore from the factory settings.  I'll try to uninstall Rapid Drive to see if that will remove the SSD from hybrid status and see the HDD as it's own drive.  If so, I'll image the stand alone HDD system and ghost it over to my 256GB SSD and pray/cross fingers/and toes that it works.  

I should probably just leave well enough alone and find my own software... but I want to have a system that runs correctly.  We'll see.

Oh, and link626 is a user on forum.netbookreviews.  He has excellent instructions on how to resovle OKR for Windows 7 clean installs.  But again... Win 8 is not Win 7 and no answers exist for that either.

y580win8user
Paper Tape
Views: 5,965
Message 9 of 12

--- Follow up from my post moments ago.   (again this is for Windows 8 x 64)

I removed my clean installed 256GB mSATA drive and returned the 16GB mSATA back.  I then booted using the "novo" button and restored from factory "initial" image use OKR.

After reading some of the help menus from within the Rapid Storage Technology applications (not Rapid Drive) I learned that there is a way to "unmerge" the mSATA SSD from being hybrid with the HDD!!!  Knowing it was possible, I started trying different options...

First try was success!

Go into Device Manager:

Go into Properties on your mSATA SSD

Click the Policies tab and unselect the first option (which makes the second also disappear).

Done!

Now your mSATA drive is no longer being used as "acceleration" by Windows 8!!!  And your Hybrid drive is now 2 drives:  SSD and separate HDD.  Go into Disk Management and view for yourself!

Here's the kicker.  My disk drive score with AND WITHOUT the 16GB "rapid" drive was 5.9.  No change at all.  

I know that may be a bad benchmarking, but I thought I'd see it drop.

I powered down and removed the 16GB (without replacing the larger) and booted back up and all is well.

Next I'm going to do some OKR testing and report results.

I'm half tempted to just use OKR to restore factory image directly to my larger mSATA drive and see what comes of that!

blazik
Paper Tape
Views: 5,370
Message 10 of 12

Hello,

I understand you are owner of Lenovo y580 win8 version, right? I have similar problem I bought my y580 five months ago and than I bought win 8 and tried to upgrade. After few attempts I made clean installation of win8 but now I am unable to merge 32 GB SSD with 1 GB HDD. Do you have any idea how to do this?

Thanks for reply.

Martin

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors