Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

08-03-2014

california

20 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 1 of 6

Missing drivers after clean install Win 7. Lenovo support only shows Win 8 drivers. ?!

2014-09-06, 15:43 PM

After much turmoil, I was finally able to replace a failed hard drive on my Lenovo z585 and get a fresh copy of windows 7 back on it. Which is what it came with originally. The install had many drivers missing. I was able to get some some from the Lenovo support page, for the z585, but there a some that won't update on their own when I prompt them to...and those also don't have a Windows 7 driver on the support page...only windows 8.

Why doesn't Lenovo have all the Win 7 drivers available ? Some drivers are available for both win 7 & 8 but others are windows 8 only ? ....and I need them.

The chipset is also only available for win 8. also USB 2.0 etc....

Can someone please help me? I've only run into problem after problem, endlessly...

Thanks

here's an image of what my computer is asking for:

Options

404 Posts

07-12-2014

London

346 Signins

5196 Page Views

• Views: 5196
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Missing drivers after clean install Win 7. Lenovo support only shows Win 8 drivers. ?!

2014-09-06, 16:10 PM
Try a driver downloading software e.g advanced systemcare's driver booster, you will probs need old drivers.
Lenovo y510p - Intel Quad-core 4th gen i7-4700MQ @3.40Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB HDD 8GB SSD - 1080p FHD - Nvidia 755m SLI
Options

13 Posts

08-03-2014

california

20 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 3 of 6

Re: Missing drivers after clean install Win 7. Lenovo support only shows Win 8 drivers. ?!

2014-09-06, 17:53 PM

thanks iDesign, I used Driver Booster and it found and fixed more of the driver issues than even windows was capable of.

I still have a problem though, even though it now appears as though the USB 2.0 drivers are fine...they still dont work.

Instead, the only warning I see in Device Manager now is "unknown device" under 'other devices'. It won't install any

drivers.

Also, when Driver Booster 1st started installing the updates, this error came up:

Dpinst64.exe - System Error ..... This program can't start because MSVCR100.dll is missing from your computer.

I don't know what that is, or what in the driver installation process caused it to appear.

I'm sure I can find a copy of it fairly easily and put it where it should be, but I'd like to know how neccessary it is.

Options

404 Posts

07-12-2014

London

346 Signins

5196 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2014-09-06, 20:03 PM
Hmm as it's a lenovo driver, you may need to contact lenovo support by phone to see if they can supply you with an old driver. Just to rule it out, check your bios settings just to make sure it's enabled etc.

For the MSVCR missing file:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/36518-63-msvcr100-missing-computer
Lenovo y510p - Intel Quad-core 4th gen i7-4700MQ @3.40Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB HDD 8GB SSD - 1080p FHD - Nvidia 755m SLI
Options

404 Posts

07-12-2014

London

346 Signins

5196 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2014-09-06, 20:17 PM
This may be some help for you, usb controller drivers are for win7.

http://www.helpjet.net/files-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z585.html
Options

12 Posts

03-11-2016

India

8 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 6 of 6

2016-03-11, 12:32 PM

The only driver I could think you might need is the AHCI/RAID driver.
Step 1: Backup your machine completely. I recommend a complete image backup to make sure you don’t miss anything.
Step 2: Install Windows 7 from scratch. That means basically reformat, reinstall, and you end up with a machine that has a brand new installation of Windows 7.
Step 3: Install all of your applications from scratch. And yep, that means you’ll need your installation disks or downloads for all of the applications you care about because you will, in fact, be setting them up one at a time.
Step 4: Restore your data from the backup, or wherever else you have it.

On a computer with internet access, go to support.lenovo.com, click Laptops, select "ThinkPad T Series laptops" and select "ThinkPad T420" subseries/model, click Go. Select the relevant operating system (Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit) in the pull-down menu. Proceed to download all the drivers that you want. You can download these files on a different computer than the one that you will install the drivers on, and then transfer them via external harddisk, or similar, to the computer that you want to install them on.

The folder C:\SWTOOLS (and other, for example C:\DRIVERS) will be created by the self-extracting archives that you download from support.lenovo.com (the .exe-files), if you choose to extract them to their default location, that is. These folders then contain the installation files for the drivers. After the drivers are installed, both the archive (.exe-file) and the installation files may be removed, but then you would have to download the archive anew should you ever want to install the driver again. But that may be a good thing, since the driver may have been updated since the last time. Usually the drivers are not updated by Windows Update (some are, however). The ThinkVantage System Update utility updates the drivers, at least semi-automatically. But these (Windows Update and ThinkVantage System Update) both require an internet connection, of course.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms