Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BeerMe54
Paper Tape
Views: 403
Message 1 of 7

My Awful Experience with Lenovo

So, I sit here typing on my phone because my computer is basically not operating. I bought a Lenovo y50 a year ago and received a defected unit. After spending $1,150 for the laptop and warranty, I send it immediately back. It takes several months to receive a new one. So i get the newer one back and the network adapter has been a major issue.

I can not connect to any wireless network. Never been able to. Ethernet is fine, but even as I sit by my router, absolutley no networks are found. I have disabled/enabled the wireless adapter, reinstalled the driver, updated, everything I could think of. So I call Lenovo's glorious technical support (3 times) and each time they say I cannot be helped because although I have a purchased an extended warranty, I need to purchase a separate SOFTWARE warranty for $200 bucks. Thanks Lenovo, I guess after spending over a grand a need to cough up more money for yet another defected product.  

So i have been using ethernet for quite some time because I'm too prideful to shelve out any more money. However recently I started having issues with the boot. So i hit F2 and hit Legacy and problem solved, or I thought. Now my computer is so freaking slow. It crashes and freezes periodically. There is an annoying clicking sound that was not there previously, I'm assuming related to the hard drive.  When I reboot there is a 1 in 6 chance that it will operate correctly without an issue.  

I'm extremely irritated with this product and lack of customer care. I obsolutely refuse to give Lenovo any more of my hard earned money. I'd rather save and buy a new unit elsewhere.

I realize this might be viewed more as a rant but if anyone has any advice relating to the network adapter or the freezing issue it would be much appreciated.

When I spend this amount of money for a product, I expect better, period.

joesmith16
What's DOS?
Views: 377
Message 2 of 7

Re: My Awful Experience with Lenovo

Lenovo use to make a good product. Now it's just cheap crap and terrible customer service. I just joined the community so that I can complain about Lenovo products (Ideapad.) You will get nothing but the run around from Lenovo and never the same answer twice when you call customer support. Sorry but you and I are stuck with a piece of junk

Haricleia
Paper Tape
Views: 370
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for posting this! Unfortunately, it looks like you are not the only one that has had a bad experience with Lenovo products, not to mention their technical service center. Just in case it makes you feel better, let me share my story: I purchased a Y70-70 Touch [mind you, this is a $1,800 laptop] and a couple of months later, the monitor started flickering and showing strobing diagonal lines that got more and more frequent, so I had no choice but to send it to their service ctr. in Kentucky to have the monitor replaced. They returned my laptop seven days later, but replaced the touch screen monitor for a non touch screen one!!! You'd think Lenovo's technicians should be able to find out the correct part number before replacing a monitor, right??? BUYERS BEWARE!!!
Haricleia
Paper Tape
Views: 364
Message 4 of 7

I feel your pain! Please, be assured you are not alone! My laptop cost over $1,800 and it came with a defective monitor that started flickering incessantly on  day one. I sent it to their "STELLAR" service center to have the monitor replaced only to find out that they installed...THE WRONG MONITOR!!!!!

So please, tell all your friends, colleagues, relatives, neighbors and acquaintances to steer away from all the Lenovo products at any cost. If the top of the line laptop works like mine is a piece of junk and the service center cannot even replace a defective part with the correct one, what could be expected from the more basic models?

@joesmith16 wrote:

Lenovo use to make a good product. Now it's just cheap crap and terrible customer service. I just joined the community so that I can complain about Lenovo products (Ideapad.) You will get nothing but the run around from Lenovo and never the same answer twice when you call customer support. Sorry but you and I are stuck with a piece of junk

BeerMe54
Paper Tape
Views: 363
Message 5 of 7

Wow, that is awful. After my experience and listning to others, it doesn't surprise me at all that happened to you.

After trying to fix my computer for several hours I have determined that it is a hard drive failure. It will not boot up at all and the system restore will not function.I will call Lenovo on Monday and will escalate the issue as high as I can go. It's really sad that a company would sell a product with so many issues. I partly blame myself for being so gullible and only focusing on the specs at the time.

Regardless, I have already told both parents and gf of my situation. They just bought new computers elsewhere. I will continue the trend.

Guru
Views: 311
Message 6 of 7

I can agree that sometimes companies do not provide adequate support/service. I am not sure 'BeerMe' why the issues happened with your laptop but if its just the Wifi card and the HDD, they can be easily replaced. I am only trying to help here so please hear me out.

Here is the Hardware maintenance manual -

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_y40_50_series_hmm.pdf

1) On Pg39, you can see how to reach the HDD and remove it. Also, from the parts list looks like a 7mm HDD should fit in well.

2) As for restoring your Windows, you can download the original windows that came with your laptop from Microsoft and create a bootable USB.

Since your motherboard already has an OEM windows key associated with it, the bootable USB can be used to install fresh windows. (More details on this topic can be found on the internet or I can also help with this)

As for the Wifi issue, it could very well be a hardware fault or a loose connection.

Pg 44 shows where you can find the Wifi card and how it is connected. Basically, there should be 2 wires connected to the card and both should be tight. If the Wifi still does not work, then you may have to buy one of the cards and replace it. (This is just a suggestion.)

I am more of a DIY person and hence try to keep laptops in working condition without depending on ANY tech support unless ofcourse I fry my motherboard. If you need any assistance I am willing to help.

I could even help you replace this stuff, if you were in an area close from my place.

PS - As for the money, I dont know who or why they would ask  that. If you are in warranty, they cannot ask for money unless its customer induced damage. I dont think that either the HDD or Wifi card comes under any sort of software issues. You should probably call again and talk to a supervisor. (Are you calling directly to Lenovo Support?)

In US, the usual turnaround time for laptop repair is 2-3 weeks, did it take you months?

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
RidvanGER
Fanfold Paper
Views: 308
Message 7 of 7

Try to change the WLAN card inside, that's what I would do. Or a external wlan-stick.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors