cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mulawingalang
Punch Card
Views: 3,353
Message 1 of 16

My Lenovo Y330 laptop shuts down abruptly.

Hi guys.

I've been using my laptop for about 10months now and since I've upgraded to Windows 7, I'm unable to render out any of my videos from my Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, Encore, Media Encoder and more...

I also noticed that whenever I play Call of Duty: Moder Warfare 2, after sometime my laptop shuts down abruptly. So I'm thinking, is it because my laptop's processor is running at 100% and it automatically shuts it down? But what I don't understand is, when I was using Windows Vista SP2 64bit, this doesn't happen. Help me please... Smiley Sad

I've read in some of the previous posts that there could be a bug or a worm with "energy cut"? what the hell is that? can anyone please enlighten me? thanks.

Here's my laptop specs.:

Lenovo Y330

Intel Core 2 Duo T5870
Apacer 4GB DDR2 800mhz RAM
WD Scorpio Blue 250GB 5400rpm

ATI Radeon HD3450

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

I already did 2 clean installs of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and it still happens... =c

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,325
Message 2 of 16

Re: My Lenovo Y330 laptop shuts down abruptly.

update your graphic card driver and/or direct x.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
mulawingalang
Punch Card
Views: 3,317
Message 3 of 16

I've updated to the latest drivers for my video card... will try updating my directx now... will update you with the results... thanks yigit! Smiley Happy

mulawingalang
Punch Card
Views: 3,286
Message 4 of 16

Hello guys. I've updated to the latest drivers for my video card and to the latest version of DirectX and still no luck... What could be wrong? I'm guessing it's the ATI Mobility Radeon Drivers that has a problem? Because back then when I was still using Vista SP2 64bit, I had no problems or crashes with any application that uses up my graphics card... But now when I switched to Windows 7 64bit, my computer shuts down abruptly when I use adobe premiere or render with adobe media encoder and encore and even when I play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I also monitored my cpu's core temperatures and it was at a stable 48 degrees celsius! I used CoreTemp to monitor it real time while I rendered... Please please please help me... I have a lot of video projects on going and I need to be able to edit on field... =(
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,256
Message 5 of 16

check system logs for errors, and let us know.

by the way does your system more than 2 gb ram?

mulawingalang
Punch Card
Views: 3,246
Message 6 of 16

Checked system logs and still no luck... There's no log that says my laptop suddenly turned off or anything.

Regarding my memory, I have 4GB DDR2 800mhz RAM installed (2 x 2GB Apacer Modules).

I am guessing it's my processor that's heating up. When I run Core Temp and Speed Fan while I render, I noticed that Core 1's temperature is at a normal rate but the program says it's on a critical level (well the 48 degrees Celsius text turn to red so I guess it means that way?) .

Now I'm thinking if I should clean up my laptop's insides and apply new thermal grease on my processor to cool it off. I don't think anything's wrong with my processor since my laptop can run for days as long as I don't render footage and use up my resources very intensively...

Any suggestions? Smiley Happy

mulawingalang
Punch Card
Views: 3,237
Message 7 of 16

Is applying new thermal grease good for my laptop?

Hi guys!

If you noticed, I had a post before this about my Ideapad Y330 laptop turning off abruptly whenever I do intensive applications such as rendering a video in Adobe Premiere CS4 or playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

I tried to monitor my CPU's core temp and noticed that one of my cores heat up, what's weird is that the temp is only at the least 27 degrees Celsius and the max at 62 degrees Celsius but both of the programs show a red text in core 1...

I'm thinking of cleaning up my laptop's insides and apply new thermal compound or thermal grease (something like this: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=149 or Artic Silver 5) on to my processor to cool it down...

Has anyone tried this? Can you tell me if it did you any good or if it significantly cooled down your processor?

Thanks.

moderator note: please do not split the discussion into different threads. thank you.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,241
Message 8 of 16

change the performance and try again.

on the process ( rendering process  ), plug the ac adapter, select  high performance on the power management.

still no luck?

toastedrobot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,125
Message 9 of 16

Re: Is applying new thermal grease good for my laptop?

i do not suggest doing this.

1. taking apart your laptop is a pain and you might not get it back the way it was.

2. does this void your warranty? if so you prolly don't wanna do it

3. when installing a new heatsink on my desktop i put on my own thermal paste, only to find out later that this isn't always a good idea. the factories have a really good way of putting the paste on evenly and such.

you could check your bios auto shut off temps(again warranty comes into question), maybe try rendering with a laptop cooler just to see if that helps. the temps u gave would be fine on a desktop, don't know about a laptop.

mulawingalang
Punch Card
Views: 3,098
Message 10 of 16

Re: Is applying new thermal grease good for my laptop?

Thanks toastedrobot!

But where can I find the auto shut off temps? I can't find it on my Y330's bios... Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors