cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
dogrokket
Paper Tape
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎08-21-2014
Location: Roanoke, VA
Views: 328
Message 1 of 9

My Y50 stuck in auto repair

I rebooted my y50 this morning and it went into auto repair mode.  I can get it to refresh, but I lose all my programs, as you know.  I have been using onekey backup every week, to an external drive.  I can go through the restore process, which takes almost two hours, but when I reboot, it goes right back to the repair screen.  In the BIOS, I tried to change the boot order to the C drive, but it does not show up.  I ran chkdsk /r from the cmd prompt for drives c and d and it showed no errors.  Back in cmd prompt, I can see all files on my C drive.

 

I was not having any issues, that I know of, except for a little flag in the task bar that said I needed to restart Windows to finish with some disk problems.  Now I have a problem. Any suggestions regarding restoring my onekey backup would be helpful!  Thanks!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 304
Message 2 of 9

Re: My Y50 stuck in auto repair


@dogrokket wrote:

I rebooted my y50 this morning and it went into auto repair mode.  I can get it to refresh, but I lose all my programs, as you know.  I have been using onekey backup every week, to an external drive.  I can go through the restore process, which takes almost two hours, but when I reboot, it goes right back to the repair screen.  In the BIOS, I tried to change the boot order to the C drive, but it does not show up.  I ran chkdsk /r from the cmd prompt for drives c and d and it showed no errors.  Back in cmd prompt, I can see all files on my C drive.

 

I was not having any issues, that I know of, except for a little flag in the task bar that said I needed to restart Windows to finish with some disk problems.  Now I have a problem. Any suggestions regarding restoring my onekey backup would be helpful!  Thanks!


Try downloading Win OS iso and burn it to dvd or usb. Boot from it and select "Repair".

dogrokket
Paper Tape
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎08-21-2014
Location: Roanoke, VA
Views: 289
Message 3 of 9

Re: My Y50 stuck in auto repair

I happened to be in SFO, so I dropped it off at the MS store. Hopefully they can restore my disk image. I will let you know what happens.
dogrokket
Paper Tape
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎08-21-2014
Location: Roanoke, VA
Views: 266
Message 4 of 9

Re: My Y50 stuck in auto repair

Final update: The MS people were able to refresh my computer (I lost all my programs) and they attempted to recover my Onekey Backup, which didn't happen. Lesson learned- use MS back up utility and don't waste time with the Lenovo Onekey BU.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 258
Message 5 of 9

Re: My Y50 stuck in auto repair


@dogrokket wrote:
Final update: The MS people were able to refresh my computer (I lost all my programs) and they attempted to recover my Onekey Backup, which didn't happen. Lesson learned- use MS back up utility and don't waste time with the Lenovo Onekey BU.

Probably they messed up with the partitions so that they could not restore your onekey backup. What use to be a startup problem resulted to a complete clean install of the OS.

 

Anyway, glad to hear that your unit is back in operation minus the onekey feature.

dogrokket
Paper Tape
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎08-21-2014
Location: Roanoke, VA
Views: 250
Message 6 of 9

Re: My Y50 stuck in auto repair

Actually, my OneKey Back Up image was on an external drive. After a computer refresh, the backup was reloaded and windows went back to repair mode.  Apparently, the back up contained a flaw in the OS.  They told me that if I had made an image of my HD with the windows utility, they would have been able to extract specific program folders (assuming that they weren't corrupted. I was told that you cannot extract specific folders from a OneKey back up image.  Is that right?

 

All and all, emergency over; it just required a lot of busy work and reloading on my part.  But isn't this what making an image of your hard drive is supposed to prevent?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 245
Message 7 of 9

Re: My Y50 stuck in auto repair


@dogrokket wrote:

Actually, my OneKey Back Up image was on an external drive. After a computer refresh, the backup was reloaded and windows went back to repair mode.  Apparently, the back up contained a flaw in the OS.  They told me that if I had made an image of my HD with the windows utility, they would have been able to extract specific program folders (assuming that they weren't corrupted. I was told that you cannot extract specific folders from a OneKey back up image.  Is that right?

 

All and all, emergency over; it just required a lot of busy work and reloading on my part.  But isn't this what making an image of your hard drive is supposed to prevent?


What I know is that OneKey operation is independent of Windows. The only requirement is that the partitions should be intact. So even if Windows will not start you will be able to restore to factory condition in an hour or less.

 

The image using Windows is from the Windows 7 yet. There are also limitations on this. But I will not discuss it anymore since you can read them in other forums.

 

There is another program that I found out recently that works like OKR. I haven't tested it thoroughly but you can give this a try if you like. It's called Aomei Onekey Recovery.

dogrokket
Paper Tape
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎08-21-2014
Location: Roanoke, VA
Views: 223
Message 8 of 9

Re: My Y50 stuck in auto repair


@LenBlazer wrote:

@dogrokket wrote:

Actually, my OneKey Back Up image was on an external drive. After a computer refresh, the backup was reloaded and windows went back to repair mode.  Apparently, the back up contained a flaw in the OS.  They told me that if I had made an image of my HD with the windows utility, they would have been able to extract specific program folders (assuming that they weren't corrupted. I was told that you cannot extract specific folders from a OneKey back up image.  Is that right?

 

All and all, emergency over; it just required a lot of busy work and reloading on my part.  But isn't this what making an image of your hard drive is supposed to prevent?


What I know is that OneKey operation is independent of Windows. The only requirement is that the partitions should be intact. So even if Windows will not start you will be able to restore to factory condition in an hour or less.

 

The image using Windows is from the Windows 7 yet. There are also limitations on this. But I will not discuss it anymore since you can read them in other forums.

 

There is another program that I found out recently that works like OKR. I haven't tested it thoroughly but you can give this a try if you like. It's called Aomei Onekey Recovery.


I was able to refresh the computer but I lost all my programs; that's what I was trying to prevent...

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 215
Message 9 of 9

Re: My Y50 stuck in auto repair


@dogrokket wrote:

@LenBlazer wrote:

@dogrokket wrote:

Actually, my OneKey Back Up image was on an external drive. After a computer refresh, the backup was reloaded and windows went back to repair mode.  Apparently, the back up contained a flaw in the OS.  They told me that if I had made an image of my HD with the windows utility, they would have been able to extract specific program folders (assuming that they weren't corrupted. I was told that you cannot extract specific folders from a OneKey back up image.  Is that right?

 

All and all, emergency over; it just required a lot of busy work and reloading on my part.  But isn't this what making an image of your hard drive is supposed to prevent?


What I know is that OneKey operation is independent of Windows. The only requirement is that the partitions should be intact. So even if Windows will not start you will be able to restore to factory condition in an hour or less.

 

The image using Windows is from the Windows 7 yet. There are also limitations on this. But I will not discuss it anymore since you can read them in other forums.

 

There is another program that I found out recently that works like OKR. I haven't tested it thoroughly but you can give this a try if you like. It's called Aomei Onekey Recovery.


I was able to refresh the computer but I lost all my programs; that's what I was trying to prevent...


Refresh will put in a fresh copy of the OS without altering your configuration and at the same time retaining your personal files. Third party programs are deleted during the process and a list of them is generated and place on your desktop as a guide for reinstallation. So take a look at it on what are deleted.

Check out current deals!


Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors