Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GRI-VOL
Paper Tape
Views: 1,001
Message 1 of 7

My Y500 burned 15 minutes ago!!!

Good evening! Well, not good for me definitely... It is 2 am in Moscow and I just prevented a fire in my house!

I bought my Lenovo Y500 (i7, 2x750m, now it has official Windows 8.1) 3 months ago. Everything was fine until 2 weeks ago I noticed some problems with charging: "charging" "no charging" profiles switching every 5 seconds. I read about this problem but it bothered me 3-4 times and i just unplugged charger to make it work again.

15 minutes ago I was watching a film on my computer and I saw really heavy smoke coming out of the slot for charging. I have a program for temperatures and all CPU, GPU temperatures were fine as usual, the problem is with charging system 100%!

What the hell is this?! I will take my computer to the Lenovo Center tomorrow, but in Russia, as always, they will try to trick me and make me guilty. Please help me! What happened to my computer and what could be damaged (obviously I didn't turn it On after that)?
GRI-VOL
Paper Tape
Views: 979
Message 2 of 7

Re: My Y500 burned 15 minutes ago!!!

Please help me! I don't even know if I can turn it on and copy all the information I have there!
Former Administrator
Views: 974
Message 3 of 7

Welcome to the forum!

This sounds serious, so I'm going to recommend that you DO NOT turn your PC back on until you get service.

Unless the system is dropped or shows signs of tampering or abuse, I would expect service to take care of this for you.  You can ask that they do not image your HDD, and perhaps you can remove it if you are concerned about your data when you send in the system.

Without seeing the system, it is difficult to say what might have happened.  Again, I recommed you contact service immediately.

Best regards,

Mark

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 970
Message 4 of 7

Hi GRI-VOL, welcome to the forums,

sorry to hear about your experience, it can't have been nice.  I would suggest you disconnect the AC power adapter from the wall socket, remove the battery from the system if it is safe to do so and then contact support as you planned to do.

The hard drive can be removed from the system and the information on it copied using another system. Information on how to remove the hard drive can be found in the system's Hardware Maintenance Manual.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM016512

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

GRI-VOL
Paper Tape
Views: 959
Message 5 of 7

Thank you very much for the advices! I couldn't wait because of very important work which I need early in the morning.

I have turned it on just with battery. Everything works fine CPU - 38-40 degrees but horrible smell from the left fan (it is very close to fire place as I believe).

This is what I have noticed:::
When I plagged the A/C, the battery was at 11% and after 1 hour (right before it started burning) it was still 11% but the icon was as it is charging! I believe that this might be case, isn't it?

Could the smoke (not fire) make some damage to the other parts of the computer?
GRI-VOL
Paper Tape
Views: 917
Message 6 of 7

I have just received an answer from Russian Lenovo center that if a motherboard is damaged by fire they will NOT change it under warranty. They are going to blame me for careless use and deny the repairment.
Is it legal?! I had a heavy smoke, could burn my house down if wouldn't be close to the notebook and I AM IN FAULT AND HAVE TO PAY??!!
Former Administrator
Views: 863
Message 7 of 7

Maybe they didn't understand your situation - perhaps they thought you meant that your system was damaged in a fire?

Could you send me a private message with your contact information - name, address, best phone to contact you, and the serial number from the bottom of the unit.  I will try to arrange some additional help for you.

Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors