cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BSpend
Paper Tape
Views: 417
Message 1 of 6

My y50-70 is now useless due to lenovo not updating bios preventing me from updating windows.

As the title says. 3 year old laptop that otherwise is still great, now useless due to Lenovo not updating the bios and preventing me from updating windows which made adobe illustrator and photoshop stop working, can't download codecs, etc. Windows support said until lenovo updates the bios I'm out of luck and have a useless machine. I can browse the internet and use apps that haven't tried to update...

Lenovo was a great machine. I was a big fan. Due to lack of support for older machines and this ridiculous issue I would never recommend any business professional like me to purchase one. To have it literally just stop working one day due to lack of software upkeep on lenovo is just silly. Is this how you make people buy new computers? It worked, except I'm going to go to best buy and ask them to sell me a machine that won't stop suddenly due to the manufacturer not keeping it up to date. For the record this is the second time this has happened and lenovo updated a few weeks later. I use this for work and can not deal with my apps not working for weeks while I wait for lenovo to roll out updates...

SO, dear Lenovo, update the bios of the y50-70, serial: CB36361936

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 410
Message 2 of 6

Re: My y50-70 is now useless due to lenovo not updating bios preventing me from updating windows.

What version of Windows are you running right now, what version are you trying to update to, and what error are you getting?

Per Lenovo (see link below), that model is compatible with Windows 10 1809, but has not yet been certified for Microsoft's just released May 1903 update.

Lenovo devices tested for Windows 10 version 1809

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht507291

When Microsoft makes major OS updates, the manufactures of hardware devices in your system such as like Intel, Synaptics and Realteck etc. may need to provide updated drivers to computer manufacturers such as Lenovo etc. so their hardware will work properly. 

Windows 10 version 1903 is just now rolling out, so I cannot believe that Adobe is requiring version 1903 for codec updates etc.    I also find it hard to believe that it is a BIOS issue, and would guess that most likely Microsoft is blowing you off with that excuse, because there are many Y50-70 systems running Windows 10 already using the old BIOS.

Windows 10 Drivers page for Lenovo Y50-70

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-y-series-laptops/y50-70-note...  

Cheers,

BSpend
Paper Tape
Views: 394
Message 3 of 6

Re: My y50-70 is now useless due to lenovo not updating bios preventing me from updating windows.

Thank you for the reply. This seemed really crazy to me too. Microsoft remote connected to my laptop. They said it was the bios. They tried to get a new bios driver and no luck. Adobe creative cloud will not update, and therefore will not let me download photoshop. Microsoft store will not let me download any apps or codecs. My machine is running 1803 and will not update to 1809 without the bios update according to the microsoft tech that remote logged into my machine. 

I have a new microsoft tech helping me, we'll see what this one says...

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 378
Message 4 of 6

I don't buy Microsoft's claim about the BIOS, the BIOS has not needed to be updated on that model since 2015, and that is way before Microsoft released its October 2018 update (1809) which was certified on that model by Lenovo.    Adobe only requires 1709 per its system requirements for Photoshop CC 2019, but that does not mean that MS Store Apps are not an issue.

Not being able to download Windows Store apps is not a BIOS issue, but your system should have updated to 1809 by now, so that indicates that there is likely a problem that needs to be fixed.  

Check Windows Update History

• Press    Windows Key + i    to open Settings
  • Select Update & Security  
  • Select View Update History

Are there Windows updates that are failing to install?     If so, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Run Windows Update Troubleshooter

• Press    Windows Key + i    to open Settings
  • Select Update & Security  
  • From left pane, select troubleshoot
  • Select Windows Update from list of troubleshooting options in the right pane (you may have to scroll down)

If the Windows troubleshooter finds and fixes any issues, then you should manually run Windows Update and see if the problem is actually solved. 

This document details how to troubleshoot Windows Store Apps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027498/microsoft-store-fix-problems-with-apps

Best of luck,

BSpend
Paper Tape
Views: 358
Message 5 of 6

This new tech created a disk image of the 1809 update, then manually installed it and that worked. My windows update is working fine, although I'm not sure if it was before. It was doing updates, it just never did the 1809 update. 

Thank you for your advice and help. I'm not sure if this an issue from my machine being windows 7 originally or what but I over reacted towards Lenovo. I do think it's silly they won't let older computers contact support. Regardless it's been my favorite machine of many over the decades. They got a 5 star review from me years ago on the product page too Smiley Wink Now I would make it 4... Still a great computer.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 346
Message 6 of 6

The only windows 10 image available on Microsoft's download site right now is the new 1903, which is not yet certified by Lenovo for you system, so I am glad he was able to get that done for you. 

Cheers,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors