Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dickflanagan
Punch Card
Views: 1,442
Message 1 of 10

Mysterious Network File Appears Y550P Win 7

In my C:/Users directory a file named with my first name (Duck aka Duck Flanagan which is also my full user name) appears and at boot time I am asked what program I want to open it.  The file has no suffix and contains what appears to be network data.  If I delete it it soon shows up again after I do some other modifications and re-boot.  I am enclosing the full text of the file below.  Can anyone tell me where it is coming from, why the boot process is trying to execute it and what I should do to make the system happy?

This is on a new Y550P running Windows 7 x64.

(By the way, my name isn't really Duck.  My name is the common nickname for Richard, but the system thinks that is a dirty word and insists on replacing it with ***bleep***)

===========================================================================
Interface List
 13...0c 60 76 ab b0 6a ......Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
 12...00 26 22 d4 23 87 ......Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
 11...00 21 6a 74 13 10 ......Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN
  1...........................Software Loopback Interface 1

IPv4 Route Table
Active Routes:
  None
Persistent Routes:
  None

IPv6 Route Table
Active Routes:
  None
Persistent Routes:
  None

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,378
Message 2 of 10

Re: Mysterious Network File Appears Y550P Win 7

run updated antivirus and reply if it is still on even after virus scanning

btw, using bluetooth connection?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
dickflanagan
Punch Card
Views: 1,361
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for your response, yigit.

I have done multiple virus scans with no results.

Shortly after I configured my first systemI saved it to the OneKey Recovery space for safe keeping.  I then went on to comple the loading of all my applications and files.  I am unclear when this problem began, but I took a chance and restored the partition back to my first backup image and again loaded all of my applications.

The problem has not recurred since I did the partial restore and application re-load.  Of equal curiosity to me as which process created the file is the question of which process was trying to open it during system start-up.  I am new to Windows 7.  Is there anything "special" about the C:/Users directory?

As for Bluetooth, I had the connection enabled just to see what it did, but since I don't have any Bluetooth devices I soon disabled the connection.

Like so many frustrating system anomolies, now that I am looking for it, I can't reproduce it.  I was hoping the contents of the file would give someone a clue as to its origin.

Thank you for responding, but for now the problem has nor resurfaced.

Dionnow
Paper Tape
Views: 1,348
Message 4 of 10

Hey **bleep**,

The text that you pasted looks like the windows routing table.  If you open your command prompt and type "route print" you'll see the similarity. 

Now the tough part- why is this being exported to a file and why is windows trying to launch it...

I doubt this will be it but its worth looking...  Open up the task scheduler.. (you can just search for 'task' in the windows search and you'll see it) and see if you notice anything scheduled... This COULD be why the file is repearing each time after boot.

I'd download and run HiJackThis (free tool) and look to see if you see any start up items that are referencing this file... If so, delete it.  OR- open regedit and search for the file path and see what comes up.. if something does come up, its probably a startup entry- I bet deleting it would resolve the issue.

dickflanagan
Punch Card
Views: 1,337
Message 5 of 10

Hey, un-**bleep**able. Thanks for the response.  I tried "route print" and it does indeed contain similar information, but just a lot more of it.

I looked at the Task Scheduler and what to my wondrous eyes did appear but *36* various Windows maintenance tasks.  None appeared network-related, however.  One did make me smile, though.  The task is named "DecompressionFailureDetector" and I immediately had visions of little oxygen masks dropping down! Smiley Very Happy

I also learned that Windows 7 automatically schedules a weekly disk defray.  I hope if anyone ever installs a SSD they know to turn that puppy off.

Anyway, moving on to HiJackThis it gave me a very large list of stuff, none of which contain the name **bleep** or even the name of the /User Directory.  I also ran a regedit scan with similar results.

Unless someone is able to relate the file contents to anything specific like tunneling vp6v kinda stuff, I may have to just right this off as a first boot glitch and wait to see if anyone else notices it.

The Windows 7 rollout has to be full of little glitches like this.  Fortunately, this one does not appear to be doing any obvious harm.

Thanks for your ideas.

**bleep**

(I wonder if I ever went to work for Lenovo if they would issue me a name badge that said **bleep** Flanagan.  Smiley Wink

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,309
Message 6 of 10

do you see hidden and system files in explorer?

and a screen would be nice if you can upload.

Dionnow
Paper Tape
Views: 1,305
Message 7 of 10

LOL yea I think the **bleep** is catching on... maybe you just discovered a new screen name?!   So what is probably happening is something is pulling the routing table before windows boots up fully, that is why it is blank, and when you run it it via command prompt it is full...

Its a bummer HJT and the registry didn't give you any clues..

I'm using the same computer as you (y550p), but I don't have this issue, nor have I ever seen it on any other computer..

Do you have windstream or Centurylink as your ISP by any chance?  I know their 'premium support' departments would be able to resolve this with out much trouble. (or myself, if you were so daring as to have a stranger work on your computer remotely, lol)

Happy Holidays!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,298
Message 8 of 10

have you installed anything recently?

@ dionnow : its because of an application but which one?

dickflanagan
Punch Card
Views: 1,256
Message 9 of 10

I took the coward's way out and reset my OS to the factory image and started over.  The problem has not recurred during the past 36 hours, so for now the problem is not an issue.  Thanks for all the good ideas and offer of help.  If nothing else I learned a lot and know where to come if I need more help.

Thank you again and have a great Christmas!

**bleep**

dickflanagan
Punch Card
Views: 1,256
Message 10 of 10

Everything is new as this is a new machine with everything being installed fresh.  As I told dionnow, I have gone back to the factory image and started over and so far the issue has not recurred.    You can be sure I will hussle back here if the problem comes back.

Thank you for your ideas and offer of help.

**bleep**

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors