cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
svendor123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,244
Message 1 of 9

NEED ASSISTANCE : High temperatures, and no means to adjust fans. Desperate help please! (Z580)

Hi everyone,

My name is Sven and I have recently purchase a Lenovo Ideapad z580. So far I am very pleased with the product however, there is one thing I am very concerned about. The fact that I have no system monitoring software and also I have no optiosn anywhere to adjust fan speeds as to cool down my system.

I have read numerous posts about some people with the windows 8 power manager having to download the windows 7 power manager for it gives the options to have silent mode and cool mode etc.

I have done just that, I downloaded the windows 7 version and if I press the touch button at the top of my keyboard (moon icon with a star above) It brings up a small window where I may now select, dust removal, silent mode, cool mode, etc... HOWEVER NONE of the options actually work at all accept for the dust Removal option.

I am trying to play GW2 online and I am well aware that this is not a gaming system however I was concered about the heat coming out of the laptop, so I installed MSI afterburner, it monitored the GPU at a maximum if 90 degrees celcius, so I would like to know if this is an acceptable range for the specific GPU.

I also noticed a few other things, when I changed the power options (Power saver, balanced, perfmornace) I got these temperatures. Power saving = 60-65 degrees but the game lagged badly. Balanced = 70-80 degrees and was ok to play and performace = 90-93 degrees calcius and the game ran like a wonder.

I even went as far as installing my copy of windows 7 HOPING that I would be able to use the power management software to its fullest.

So here are my questions.

1 - are the above temperatures acceptable?

2 - Is there software I may use to increase fan speeds or monitor temperatures?

3 - Why can't a select the cooling option but ONLY the dust removal options?

4 - does anyone else have this issue?

5 - is it a recognized issue with the laptops or OS and is there a fix on the way?

Thank you to anyone with any usefull information, and I am begging some techinical staff to help me out, PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TO A DRIVER SITE because I have downloaded EVERY driver possible.

Thank you for your time!

Sven Bow.

System specs :

Nvidia Geforce GT635m 2gb

Intel i7 3rd Generation @ 2.20 ghz

8 gb of RAM DDR3.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,220
Message 2 of 9

Re: NEED ASSISTANCE : High temperatures, and no means to adjust fans. Desperate help please! (Z580)

hi Sven,

Welcome to the Lenovo Community.

Regarding your questions:

1. If you have the Intel i7-3632QM 2.2Ghz, it's probably overclocking to 3.2Ghz via the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology. Getting 90 degrees celsius is normal especially if you play a graphics extensive game and Power Settings set to High Performance. Try to set your power options to 99% so that the CPU will not overclock (clock speed steady at 2.2Ghz).

Spoiler
power.png

2. Most OEM fans are controlled by the BIOS. Some have luck using SpeedFan to control the fan speeds but if you don't have an option on your end, the BIOS might not support this feature.

3. The Energy Management driver varies per Opearting System. If a certain feature of the Energy Management was designed to work on Windows 7, there's no guarantee that the same feature will work on Windows 8 (the OS requires the right drivers to talk to the hardware correctly).

4. I have heard of high temperatures ratings when gaming but not for the Z580 model.

5. Not really a common issue but knowing that laptops having a small fan, adequate heatsink and a stock thermal compound, it can only accommodate that much. Regarding the Energy Management features, this is probably a limitation of the software. There will be future version that will include additional options.

As an alternative, you can try to replace the thermal compound by using Artic Silver 5 or Tunix-TX4 as these thermal compounds can significantly decrease overall heat by -5c to as much as -15c.

Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

svendor123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,208
Message 3 of 9

Re: NEED ASSISTANCE : High temperatures, and no means to adjust fans. Desperate help please! (Z580)

Hi, Thank you for the reply!

Yes that is the CPU I have, however I don't think the CPU is even OC because, when I alt tab the game, I see that while it was running, the CPU wasn't even running at full load. The GPU however.

I did what you advised, right clicked the small battery Icon in the bottom right and went to power options --> then advanced optiosn, scrolled down to processor, and when it had Min and max etc, I changed MAX to 99% with no change in temperatures, I even changed it to 70% and no change.

I do not mind the temperatures or even the noise which isn't that bad. I just hope my hardware is not getting damaged.

I played Guildwars 2 on performance mode, for an hour... the GPU reached a maximum temperature of 92 degrees... it did not go any higher.

The game ran great. I've also experienced NO Lag spiking, or crashes.. freezing screen flashing, nothing.. so there is no indicator of overheating or damage to hardware, Im just concerened about the temperatures.

You said that 90 degrees is acceptable, if that is the case then I am not worried at all.

Also I current have windows 7 professional 64bit on this laptop, with the windows 7 version of the power managment software.

If 90 degrees is fine for my GPU then Im happy. If not, Im not sure what to do.

Let me know, thanks for all the support! It's been great!

hcbr929rr2
Punch Card
Views: 2,198
Message 4 of 9

90*C is not ok for extended use on a GPU, GPU's should be running cooler then your CPU. I don't let my gt650m get over 65*C, you can try changing your in game settings by lowering graphics settings, turn of anti aliasing, etc. but beyond that there isn't much else you can do.

You can try getting a cooling pad, but unless the bottom cover of your laptop has a big vent for the airflow to get in or you take the whole bottom cover off (not recommended), it isn't going to do much

Like the previous poster said reapplying the thermal paste with a quality paste will probably help the most.

svendor123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,179
Message 5 of 9

I had a feeling that the temps might be a little bit too high, however, it's not necessarily true that a GPU needs to be lower than that of a CPU. For example, my desktop pc is running a relitively old card, Geforce GTX 460, now the load temperatures of that card... are 75 degrees reaching a possible high 78 degress. Which in fact is the normal load temps for the card. So with that logic implied, I'm assuming that 90 degrees for a laptop card is, in a sense, reasonable and expected due to the lack of cooling and airflow due to it being a laptop.

Im assuming that a laptop chip is deisgned to dish out more heat. However what concerns me is that this Lenovo Z580 has no temperature management, even in BIOS. I've loaded the BIOS and the only options I get are for those of boot priority etc. So I don't even know if there are any safty procesures if the chips overheat, I know that i-series cpus generally underclock themselves if overheating occures as an attempt to cool down.

What I still do not understand is that I had windows 8 on this system, with the windows 8 power manager, then i read up that the windows 7 version has more cooling options and fan controls. SO I went, installed windows 7 64bit, installed the windows 7 version of the software (Power management). I get the options appearing but cannot seem to select them.  If I have selected them, I notice no change in temperatures or sound, other than the dust removal. So I don't understand why I cannot use those options and I am praying that Lenovo is working on a fix soon.

In the mean time, does anyone know any definate way to alter fan speed in the lenovo Z580. BUT if 90 degrees is ok then its fine. Im getting no crashes, or freezing of any sort, so for the time being i have no reason to even be concerned. I think,

hcbr929rr2
Punch Card
Views: 2,169
Message 6 of 9

again, you can argue all you want, but you asked the question lol.

90*C is not ok to consistently run a GPU at, and yes GPU's should usually be running cooler then CPU's, hence your i7 having a TJmax of 105*C where your gt635m only has a TJmax of 102*C so yes, your GPU should be running cooler then your CPU

re apply thermal paste, if that doesn't work, then you need to get a better graphics card if you want to keep playing the games you want to play reliably

MonolithMike
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,130
Message 7 of 9

Hey Sven, if you do perform the reapplication of thermal paste, please respond with the results.  I am not too keen on opening up laptops but I do have the same issue of high core temp during gameplay on my z580.

Or if you find any benefit from any method please let us know here Smiley Happy

svendor123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,116
Message 8 of 9

Hi,

Unfortunately I won't be applying thermal paste because this is a brand new laptop, I don't want to void the warrenty. I've possed a few other threads with questions and I've received some good feed back, but nothing really works.

The ways that I have managed to get temperature drops is right clicking any games I want to play, and then clicking Run with graphics processor- then I changed it to Intergrated. That stoped the Nvidia card from running, now although the Intergrated card is not remotely as powerful as the nvdia card, the game (Guild wars 2) ran fine. I also recieved decent temperatures. I still don't know whether high temperatures are normal for the z580 playing games. Numerous threads said these temperatures are normal but are pretty much at their peak.

Another way in which I managed to down temperature of the Nvidia card, is by unplugging the charger. I have a VERY annoying issue that I cannot resolve where by if I unplug the charger from my laptop, my games lag out completely as if my system becomes throttled. However, the GFX card reaches nice stable temperatures of around, 60 degrees.

I have been working on the heat issue for about 1 week now, I've been onto hundreds of sights, I've downloaded numerous applications.

Another thing that worked, it dropped the temperatures by about 5-10 degrees from 90, is I downloaded a small application called MSI afterburner, now that is esentially an overclocking tool. BUT i use it to measure temperatures of the GPU and also, you can UNDER clock it, so I down'd the core speed and memory clock but a couble hz, the games were minimally affected.  (This method sounds dodgy, but wont have any negative impact on your card unless you OVER clock it- move the core speeds up-)

One question MonolithMike, what operating system do you have, and does your Energy manager software work? (are you able to adjust the fan profiles with your touch button)

regards,

Sven.

nikolay1243
Punch Card
Views: 2,111
Message 9 of 9

try the cooler master x2
Z580 with i5 and nvidia

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors