Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 174
Message 1 of 4

New Notebook may NOT have current drivers or updates after line ends

I have seen over a decade driver cease to exist or never get a refresh shortly after  release. This can be catistrophic for the life of many notebooks sold. Especially if they have discrete GPU like Nividia!!!

I current have 4 notebooks in use and two of them running windows 7 don't have Window 10 driver nor were there Window 8.1 driver released for them. Neither the OEM nor Nvidia have anything for them. An attempt to jump forward and accept the notorious Windows 10 bugging the user to make the upgrade was refused to take place almost immediately. Why because the Nividia 7600 driver wasn't available. Dahh, check the Nvidia site confirmed nothing past  Window 7.1 was listed and the OEM abandonded all further updates. Notebooks don't get the same support as destop GPU's which have final releases far longer. But unlike desktops you cannot pop out the GPU for and newer support card  and continue on. So perfectly good in use notebook get locked out of being upgraded extremely early in life. I run my notebooks a lot longer than 2-3 years.

With this revalation hitting me yesterday I got to thinking that even my newly purchase Z70-80 which is Optimise dual GPU may suffer a short life as well as the previous T520 Thinkpad also with Optimus. They have INTEL as well as Nvidia GPU's coexisting. But if the bios is not configured so the it can only run Intel and fully turn off the Optimus driven Nvidia I could be stuck. I already waiting for the Nvidia drive to be updated for Windows 10 for months before moving on to Windows 10 but Lenovo has not released there version of the oem platform driver which are never intended for generic use as they are a chipset basic and the notebook oem is suppose to configure it further for their systems implementation to work reliabily.

In furture I see that ONLY buying and Intel GPU (which are integrated into the CPU now) as the only solution for long term support and OS longevity. It maybe nice to have high performance GPU and dedicated memory as gaming systems almost demand. But if the next generation OS is not supported or newer driver cease to become available from whom ever the GPU maker is then they notebook containing them becomes and early paper weight!!!

From here on in I will only recommend a system be based on the Intel graphics only. Which would see driver as part of the new MS Windows releases. I am afraid for my two I7 Levovo system may become compromise by obsolete drivers or none at all the even work well. I already have read many posts of new 700 series notebooks not running well with newer Nvidia drivers and since Nvidia doesn't make cards but only chipsets for notebooks they leave it as is for the OEM's who use them to fix if they desire or have the will to do so.

We the user suffer greatly and this has to stop. Its critcal for our investments to survive respectibly lifecycles. 

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

paranoid720
Paper Tape
Views: 161
Message 2 of 4

Re: New Notebook may NOT have current drivers or updates after line ends

Sorry about that, but you should also know that there is a security breech on your computer. 
Why doesnt Lenovo notify coustomers or at the least push an auto download to correct the problem??  This is what I'm talking about.

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/357493/pre-loaded-software-lets-hackers-take-over-your-pc-fri 

And I couldn't find anywhere to notify Lenovo of the problem.  Thanks and I hope you get a solutinn for your probolem.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 140
Message 3 of 4

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 125
Message 4 of 4

those were removed with new bios releases as well. If there wasn't one for the system then the tool is necessary.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors