Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zolacat999
What's DOS?
Views: 3,257
Message 1 of 56

New Z70 Keyboard issues

Hi all,

I have recently just purchased the new Lenovo Z70 laptop and it arrived a few days ago. Everything about it seems fine except the keyboard, it works but only just you have to really push hard and very central for it to register me pushing keys, as such trying to type anything takes years and is unbareable.

Has anyone else experienced this? or know what is causing it?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,222
Message 2 of 56

Re: New Z70 Keyboard issues

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Keyboard on a new computer shouldn't require a lot of physical pressure to register a key response.  It sounds like your keyboard is defective and I would recommend that you contact Lenovo Support for warranty service.  You can find the phone number for Lenovo Support in your country or area by using the link below....

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist_alt1

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Scott22202
What's DOS?
Views: 3,157
Message 3 of 56

I also have very similar keyboard issues.  I bought the laptop beause it has all the things I want (epescially 17 inch screen & NON-GLARE screen which is crucial to usability.)

But - I feel like this laptop has been ruined because it 100 percent slows down my work due to the keyboard problems.  I'm a very fast typist and have never had a keyboard slow me down until now, and the slowdown is huge.  I thought that my fingers would get used to whatever new touch methods are required after 6 weeks but it hasn't happened.  I end up with a big problem on the letter c --- half the time it appears twice and sometimes it doesnt appear at all.  Then there are the passwords that dont work for several times beacuse the keyboard is not registering the correct keystrokes.  And sometimes I dont catch what it has done to my text , with bad consequeces.  All my emails are unfortunately in an account that is labeled as my domain name with a .om after instead of .com because of the problems with the 'c' key that I didnt realize until much later.

I'm not able to describe the intensity of the issue sufficiently, so just would have to state here that because of this keyboard issue, this is the worst laptop I've ever bought unforunately.  I can't understand how such a great item would be shipped wiht the primary user interface (keyboard) so effed up.

I attribute some of it to posisble requirements of the keys themselves to get touched only in certain directions in order to regiister a keystroke.  But that doesn't explain the duplicate keystrokes I often see.

In summary - I wish I had stayed with Dell.  I thought I'd go with Lenovo this time and this keyboard thing makes me frustrated that I strayed.

zolacat999
What's DOS?
Views: 3,155
Message 4 of 56

I can fully understand your issues and like you say it is very hard to express how bad it really is but its's so frustrating when you are trying to type and the keyboard misses half the sentence. Like you i hoped i would get used to it but unfortunatly it must just be a problem with some of the laptops.

After a few weeks I could find no soloution so I sent it back to Lenovo who were very good and gave me a full refund, so I would strongly recommend that. 

Hope you can get something sorted out and good luck

Former Administrator
Views: 3,070
Message 5 of 56

Scott,

I'm going to follow up by email.  It is possible these are isolated cases, but I'd like to understand it a bit more and it might help to see one of these systems.  As Zolcat indicates he has returned and moved onto something else, perhaps we can work with you.

Thanks

Mark

Zus15
Paper Tape
Views: 3,060
Message 6 of 56

I have the same problem. Bought brand new laptop two weeks ago and the keypad is terrible. I have to hit the keys really hard, and the 'o' only works if I bash it extra hard. I spend a lot of time going back to correct spellings because of this. My fingers are super sore already all the way down to the knuckles. Ridiculous. Very disappointed after spending all that money and spending hours getting it set up exactly as I want and need it. I can't afford the time to send it for service I have work deadlines to meet and this new laptopt was supposed to make that easier, not harder! Really upset with it.

Highlighted
Former Administrator
Views: 3,030
Message 7 of 56

Zus15,

Thanks for posting.. I may have traded tweets with you yesterday? 

Since my post and tweets yesterday, I've researched this with our team and it sounds like this may be a tolerance issue on some Z70 systems built earlier this year where there may have been more space between the keyboard and the system chassis than expected.  When you press down on the keyboard, the keyboard depresses more before some buttons are registered as pressed.  

Updates have been made to newer production systems and we are in process of releasing information and updated parts to service - I'll post an update once I have confirmed this is in place.  

Best regards,

Mark

Triplec
Punch Card
Views: 3,021
Message 8 of 56

I just got mine and it seems to be fine. Although I haven't used all the keys yet.

Its ok for a notebook keyboard. I which it did have backlighting though as I could really have used that.

z70-80
I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Window 8.1 64bit
FHD 17.3 inch Display, Nvidia G840 w/2GB memory
Zus15
Paper Tape
Views: 2,996
Message 9 of 56

The store where I bought it has offered to replace it which I appreciate but having spent so long getting it all set up exactly how I need it for work, I am a bit reulctant to do this. Do you think this problem will be fixable or is a straight exchange a better option?

Triplec
Punch Card
Views: 2,993
Message 10 of 56

Take the replacement and backup what you can to put into the other system.

z70-80
I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Window 8.1 64bit
FHD 17.3 inch Display, Nvidia G840 w/2GB memory

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors