Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zexez
What's DOS?
Views: 852
Message 11 of 56

Re: New Z70 Keyboard issues

I have the same problem with my two-month-old Z70. At first I thought I would just get used to it/break the keys in but in the last two months the situation hasn't improved. It is exactly as zolacat999 described: unless I hit the middle of a key, there's a 90% chance it won't register. As a result I've been avoiding typing on the laptop, which is frustrating given that I want to be able to use this laptop that I just bought! Is there a fix for this problem?

JDK
What's DOS?
Views: 809
Message 12 of 56

My husband and I have both just purchased a Z70 and are having similar issues with our keyboards though even pressing hard on the keys does not work. The keyboard randomly decides to stop working completely. Initially we thought it may have been a driver issue once we installed Windows 10 but the same problems exist. Returning the laptops is the last thing we want to do since they are both used for school and work and cannot afford a distruption. Is there any known solution or is returning them our only option? 

natek0
Paper Tape
Views: 788
Message 13 of 56

Hi Mark,

I'm having the same problem as all the other folks who have posted here. Any solution for this? I really like the computer other than this keyboard problem. 

Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer.

davespicer
Paper Tape
Views: 756
Message 14 of 56

Have any of the previous posters had a replacement and seen an improvement? I've just bought a Z70 and am deciding whether to exchange or get a refund due to the same keyboard issues. Key presses are randomly missed/duplicated if the keys are not hit dead centre. Accurate, fast typing is close to impossible.
Can any Lenovo mods give a range of serial numbers affected by the build defect mentioned earlier? I'll be returning to PC World and I'd imagine their remaining stock could all be from the same period.
It's a shame Lenovo's whole range now seems to have this style of keyboard. The keyboards on the older Thinkpads were brilliant.
natek0
Paper Tape
Views: 747
Message 15 of 56

Hi,

I decided to live dangerously and installed a new keyboard. I believe doing this voids the warranty.

I bought a replacement on ebay for $20.89 and it seems to have fixed the problem. I made sure not to buy the exact same model number keyboard, though. 

The replacement model number is Lenovo P/N: 25214725, while the original one is Lenovo P/N: 25214785.

So, even though I had to shell out an extra $21 to fix Lenovo's crappy keyboard, I'm OK with it because I can use the keyboard. Just hope nothing else breaks because I voided my warranty. 

Hope this helps.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 743
Message 16 of 56

Why did you not get FRU keyboard from lenovo and replace it? Its warranty so its should be a no brainer to send you the part.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Zus15
Paper Tape
Views: 733
Message 17 of 56

I ended up getting a replacement and although the keyboard is a lot better, it still misses letters randomly when I type and I have to remember to hit the keys quite hard and/or to go back and check what I've typed. I've sent lots of stuff out with mistakes in it because I am just not in the habit (yet) of continually hecking for missed letters. Honestly I am pretty disappointed in this laptop given the money I spent on it. It's too late to change now but next time I'll be looking at other brands for sure.

mitrevf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 698
Message 18 of 56

@Mark_Lenovo,

What do You suggest to solve the issue? 

All of us sitting here just bought an fullHD 17inch laptop with aluminium casing, which should mean high-end.

Myself being an Computer scienist and tried everything ,  I can conclude it is hardware problem. I can't code on this, my fingers are all sore. Needless to say, we do have warranty.

Lookig fowad to heaing fom ou,

Filip

davespicer
Paper Tape
Views: 688
Message 19 of 56

I opted for a refund on mine. Retailers are dropping this model, which suggests to me it's going to be discontinued and the chances of a fix are small.
mitrevf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 683
Message 20 of 56

Good for You, but I am not able to since i live in different country and not where i bought it.

Despite, this is huge setback for me and I am furious with the Lenovo team.

How is this supposed to be AccuType?

What did You do to the precious IBM thinkpad series, from trademark quality to this garbage?

Why didn't you recall from sale the malfuncioning notebooks (instead you pushed for selling them, despite knowing the isssue)?

And most importantly, the Superfish scandal. Like, seriously? A conglomerate that bought and owns Motorola and IBM should defintely not let superfish or any of these mentioned above happen.

Shoutout to the Lenovo support team. We still wait on Mark to post an update, as he promised.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors