Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott22202
What's DOS?
Views: 471
Message 31 of 56

Re: New Z70 Keyboard issues

I have lost at least 30 hours from this situation in time lost transferring programs, emails, and files from an old laptop to the new lonovo one and then after painful realization over a month that the Lenovo keyboard was killing me, and having sent important emails with ridiculous, career-risking typos, I had to waste more time transferring to a new laptop and cleaning the Lenovo which fortunately, the retailer Frys took back.

BUT, Frys put this insanely defective laptop back into their sales as an open box type item.

i estimate at least $2000 in time lost from having chosen this laptop. Very painful for any small business owner to handle, especially due to the lost productivity. 

[Moderator Note: Edited to comply with Community Guidelines]

Zus15
Paper Tape
Views: 464
Message 32 of 56

This is what deters me from returning it and replacing it. I just cannot afford the time. If I don't work I don't get paid. It took at least half a day to set it all up for my work and I can't face the thought of losing more time transferring all that stuff, downloading countless programs etc. all over again. But maybe that is better than putting up with a defective keyboard (and the rest). How long was it before you returned it to Fry's? I returned the first one to Fry's within one month, and they replaced it, but the second one is only marginally better. I don't think they will take it back as it's longer than a month now. Lenovo customer support were not terribly interested. They ust said I could have a techie round to check the keyboard if I upgraded my warranty Seems they don't want to admit to this obvious defect that so many are struggling with.

Scott22202
What's DOS?
Views: 432
Message 33 of 56

Exactly my situation - dont work, dont get paid. Thats why I consider this laptop falsely sold as a laptop with a keyboard.  They should have told folks right away that there was a defect that would make this laptop cost more in lost work than the cost of the laptop.  Its already a huge loss of time for anyone to move to a new laptop.   

I was over the 30 day return limit at Fry's by a few weeks because I couldn't bear the thought of changing to another laptop and losing that time. But the career risks of sending embarassing emails from typos i didnt catch due to keyboard problems on the lenovo caused me to reach the threshold where I had to take the time loss.

I also had to spend time with the fry's rep to make certain the hard drive was wiped due to client data being on the laptop.

Taking the laptop apart to put in a new keyboard like someone else mentioned could be good but then I am guessing that could void a warranty.

I think Fry's marketing folks might want to take an interest here - Fry's is unfortunately playing a big role here as well as Lenovo and it has me never want to buy a computer from them again, especially knowing that they put my defective laptop back into the sales inventory (openbox or not, I dont know).

Wish I could suggest something else but ... suggest doing what I did, calling fry's first to speak wiht the manager who would be in charge of the team taking the return, then making an appointment time when he said he would be able to take time to handle my situaiton in person (due to the over-30-day issue) and then I drove there at that time wiht all the crucial stuff (original carton + receipt.)

[Edited to comply with Community Guidelines]

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 428
Message 34 of 56

You'd need to buy a laptop from a major North American company. Possibly Dell, or HP which offers an Onsite warranty. Either way there is downtime for any repair. Even your car and in that case they don't come to you.

If your access is so important you should have two systems. I find that fixing one sometimes requires a good working one as well to facilitate creating the CD's, downloads etc to fix the other one. Also in upgrading if something goes wrong (if you have one it most likely will) you have no fall back).

No excuse IMO, make the time it how everything is and why there is warranty. 

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

mitrevf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 371
Message 35 of 56

So, are we doing something here? 
Admin/moderators, this really is appaling. Still no reply?

I guess it might help keeping the thread on top.

Question to those who successfully changed the keyboard with another model, how did it really fare?

Is it better to buy external keyboard or just exchange it?

Taggin @Mark and @Amy once again. I dont like how supportive theese support forums are.

Gnarsky
Paper Tape
Views: 362
Message 36 of 56

By some miracle I was still within the holiday return period for the 2x  Z70 laptops I purchased.  I actually had just 3 days left after realizing that I was dealing with legit manufacturer's defects, and you better believe I ran straight to the store to return them.  Based on the complete and utter lack of support by Lenovo in this issue I feel it was  my only option.  After trying by voice, internet and facebook to contact someone who could help me with ANY kind of advice and getting ABSOLUTELY NO FEEDBACK OR SUPPORT I had no other option.  It's clear that Lenovo's been aware of this problem well before my purchase date, and I bought through Best Buy who ships to you direct from Lenovo.  They are still shoving these faulty and defective systems out the door, mine were bought in December.  I feel that the keyboard, trackpad and system in general were slow and buggy.  Dropout typing and double letters...track pad that freezes for minutes at a time... Who would choose to keep a brand new computer like that?  If you are still within your return period DO IT.  No amount of time you have already wasted trying to make this thing work for you like it probably can't even... I get read receipts that my messages are being seen by various members of the Lenovo team.....not one ounce of feedback or support.  No communication. Nothing.  And I'm a generally polite and reasonable person.  Also, I said it earlier - SO MUCH BLOATWARE.   Horrible experience.  I feel like I have won the lottery being able to back out of this purchase.

Gnarsky
Paper Tape
Views: 359
Message 37 of 56

(I would also like to mention here that although I was approved and verified to post the first time I added to this conversation a couple weeks ago, it took some doing to get back in here.  Between that first post and now It feel like some of my login verification information was removed or something...I have been unable to contribute to the conversation because I had to re-verify my email, and I was stuck in a loop of just not getting sent the confirmation email.  I've been trying to re-verify my email for some time now and don't know why I was made to wait until finally today I get a confirmation email letting me re-enter.  And then 5 more arrive right behind it.  And no, they did not go to spam....they just never showed up previously.  I can on one hand understand not being welcome to participate in the conversation if I am no longer a Lenovo owner but all of this is really really poor form on so many levels. )

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 333
Message 38 of 56

Many join the forum to get pre purchase information and/or ask questions as some point. So owning a product seems totally without merit.

Glad to hear you were able to return them. Clean slate now on what you do and what you buy.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Gnarsky
Paper Tape
Views: 328
Message 39 of 56

I'm saying I registered, verified my email and was able to post just fine the first time I posted.  Then a few weeks later as more responses were coming in that I wanted to participate in and respond to I noticed that my account became spontaneously "unverified", leaving me unable to comment, and every time I went to have the confirm email resent it would just never arrive.   It took me a couple weeks of trying before I could get a password reset email.   Not in inbox, not in spam, gave alrernate email a try....nothing.  I'm not generally an angry or paranoid person but it felt at the time that my account got a little messed with.  I can't prove it one way or the other.  Just saying I had an extra hurdle than would be the norm.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 320
Message 40 of 56

Gnarsky wrote:

(I would also like to mention here that although I was approved and verified to post the first time I added to this conversation a couple weeks ago, it took some doing to get back in here.

Was that problem with Lenovo ID or the forum log-in itself? Is Gnarsky a new userid?

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors